1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Major issues with corset!!!!!! Rant! (Women ONLY!)

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by EweSheep, Sep 15, 2010.

1. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I am a Civil War reenactor and I've got MAJOR issues with my corset which I think it was not the material product I need.

It likes to twist, does not give much support and the stays worked their way open on the top and the material is soft linen. And it is short!

Either it likes to make me look like a darn muffin or my body is fighting it.

I sold my original corset which made of steel stays and duck cotton canvas material....great and held up so well but when after I had my daughter, I could not wear it anymore! Most of the Ebay stuff does not have the proper stays or material for a big gal like me!

GRRRRRRRR!

I am wondering if the "fat rolls" supposed to be inside the corset or outside like a muffin? My under the arm rib fats is the biggest problem I've got....they are bad for bras too!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2010
  2. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Ace bandages????

I thought the fat rolls got "smoothed" out by corsets, but I bet you the rolls are supposed to go down (as in towards your bottom part) when the upper ones are smooshed down.

I feel your pain!

3. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Ace Bandages would give too much. You can only go straight up and down without folding your midsection. Great for people who have back problems but this corset I got right now, its pain everywhere and it probably was not made well or wrong fitted. The fat rolls would get pinched or stabbed by the top stays and if I wear it in the end of the day, it would bend.

The stays are very thin plastic strips. Very similiar to your school binder thingy, the back brace that holds your papers together, that is what it feels like.

4. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    I thing with a properly fitting corset you wouldn't have armpit rolls, just a whole lot out front. It sounds like the corset you have isn't fitted properly, or made of good material. Not having bought such a thing before, but at one time being a very active costumer, I'm pretty sure the fabric and plastic aren't up to the job. You might try a medical supply company for a medical corset, it might not give you quite the same look, but the support and construction should be better. I suspect that a well-made, well-fitted, period correct corset would run to several hundred dollars. Kind of expensive for a piece of clothing no one is supposed to see.

Most of the corsets of the era were rather long and extended over the top of the hips. Some were a little shorter. You really shouldn't have rolls at either end of a good corset, but your bustline might be fairly impressive.

I think the steel stays and cotton duck are close to original material, although whale bone was more common. It had the strength, springiness and flexibility of modern plastics.

from these, the "Ivy" looks the best...serious cash though:

http://www.fashionsoftheages.com/corsets.html

Good luck.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2010
  5. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    `my daughter makes corsets. If you would like I can ask her to make one for you. If you would like to see some og her work go to etsy or craftster.com look up violentjayne

6. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Mom'sfolly, yes it is exactly like Ivy corset.....the one I have is more like the Charlotte.

From my armpit to my "point of hip" would be roughly 12 to 13 inches, that is longer than normally worn corset.

Speaking of my "children", I am not very well endowed and I would have to have something to "support" them or they would lay FLAT in the cups LOL! Sorry no breast implants LOL!

Sheila I am pM'ing you for more details on your daughter.

I would need one by 24th of this month so it is time pressed. Otherwise I would have to buy one off the sultery or the medical supply store (thanks Mom'sfolly). [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 15, 2010
  7. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Quote:Looked under craftster and didnt find her in there.

8. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    *Cough*

Do you have a Priscilla's or "Seductions" nearby? It's a um....well...."night life" store.

Not that I'd know or anything.

9. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    Did you ask Ducks4you? She's a Civil War reenactor too, also in IL. She would probably know.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by