Major Open wound from dog bite...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Drivernumber22, Oct 16, 2014.

1. Drivernumber22

Drivernumber22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2014
    Dawsonville, Georgia
    :(

I've called these neighbors and told them "hey keep your dog up" pre chickens, more so of my dog...but yeah...they [email protected]#$%^&

1 of my barred rocks is missing, I'll wait to see what i can find tomorrow
    Next post will have my photo but you can see looks like her vent moving! I see organs...so its pretty deep...but heck shes moving her head all alert! So I'm going to keep trying to save her
    I got her inside...shes alert..so I'm going wrap an old t-shirt on her right now maybe dab with epson salt...start on antibiotics tomorow from TCS...

Any other ideas? I don't like touching it because its bad and creepy I can see her organs!

2. mtngirl35

mtngirl35 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2013
    Tennessee
    I'm so sorry to hear about your chicken. It really sounds like she needs a vet with wounds like that. I hope she pulls through. I would tell the neighbors they will have a dead dog if it comes around again. Saying a prayer for your girl. Keep us posted.

3. Hilacraft

Hilacraft Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2014
    United States
    Disinfect it and keep him/her in clean place inside. Hope she/he is ok!

4. Drivernumber22

Jun 5, 2014
    Dawsonville, Georgia
    How do you find a vet that deals with fowl? Think I'm going to set a trap and bring the dogs to the pound two counties over...enough with the owners

5. Drivernumber22

Jun 5, 2014
    Dawsonville, Georgia
    google dumbo...

6. mtngirl35

Dec 10, 2013
    Tennessee
    Do you have a 24 hr emergency vet in your area? If you do you could call and see if they take chickens. We don't an avian vet in our area. If she makes it thru the night call your local farmers coop and local vets. They might know. Good luck. I hope everything works out.

7. mtngirl35

Dec 10, 2013
    Tennessee
    Google "Vetswift in Dawsonville GA". According to the website All Animals Vet Hospital treats farm animals including chickens.

8. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    If you have betadine or Hibiclens, try soaking her vent area in that to disinfect the area. Then dry, and apply plain antibiotic ointment (Neosporin, Bacitracin, Triple Antibiotic, etc.) Vetericyn is also good to use instead if you have it. Epsom salts should only be used in a warm soak or bath, not applied directly to a wound.

9. Toddrick

Toddrick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2014
    Indiana
    So sorry that happened. Some people probably will think I'm mean, but if you can see internals, I would put it out of its misery, or at least let it die quietly. The fact that you would even describe it "major" makes it evident how serious it is. Antibiotics and sutures might prolong life, but the suffering will just likely be prolonged as well. That's my opinion, and I don't see any pictures, but I'm guessing if you go to the vet they would say the same thing. It's not that I don't value the bird's life--I am fully prepared to do a lot to save my birds--I just hate to see them suffer.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
  10. Drivernumber22

Jun 5, 2014
    Dawsonville, Georgia
    haha I totally saw that and All Animals is down the road, I'll be calling the morning..
    Shes walking acting like nothing is wrong! Tried puting a gauze on and she took it off? I'm keeping her in the spare room where its dark...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by