1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Major picking- HELP!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chicks Galore3, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut Premium Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    I walked into the coop today, and it sounded like a wild animal had gotten into the coop and was eating a chicken alive! I rushed in and the second part was true- but it was getting eaten by another chicken!!!! It was chasing her around the coop, trying really hard to eat the feathers. Several (All?!?!?!) of my chickens are doing this. I am so helpless I am ready to cry! WHY are they doing this and WHAT can I do to STOP IT? :(

2. Chicks Galore3

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    Please? I have no idea what to do. More protein? More vitamans? They aren't crowded, they have a 10' by 14' plus a 8' by 6' coop.

3. bj taylor

bj taylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2011
    North Central Texas
    i'm not sure what started your problem. boredom may have initiated it. i have read where people have hung a cabbage in a mesh bag where the chickens can "work" on it. they suspend the bag at a height where the birds have to reach a little.
    i would use blu kote on any wounds. it's a great product to work to heal the wound, but it also camoflages it so the others aren't inclined to keep picking at it.
    you may have a single bird that is terrorizing everyone else. if this is what's happening, you may need to re-home that bird.

4. Chicks Galore3

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    I thought i had a single bird, but now I've seem half of my flock pecking. :( Thank you for your answer!

5. Chicks Galore3

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    Do you guys think maybe the chickens like the taste of feathers, so they are eating them? I also discovered not all of them can fit around the feeder- it seemed the most pecking was when they were waiting in line to eat. So I moved the feeder so they all could get to it.

6. mg15

mg15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2012
    I have one 40 pound feeder that hangs in the coop. For free feeding at any time.
    I make mash in the a.m. and I have FOUR bowls, dog bowls, saucers from plants, etc.
    all around and in different places so that everyone has a chance at a feeding of the mash (I call it mash, crumbles mixed in warm water).
    Then I put out pots of grown tall wheat grass. It works pretty much of the time. Something for everyone.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by