MAJOR PROBLEM!!!! HELP!!!! one of my hens being attacked by the others

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Myst4, May 15, 2008.

1. Myst4

Myst4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2008
    N.S., Canada
    I have noticed within the past week or so that one of my hens has spent a lot of time in the corner of the coop,facing it. If she isn't there she is in one of the nests,just standing there. Not socializing at all. Today,I noticed that she was outside with all the others..then suddenly my roo jumped on her back.I thought he was going to breed with her,until I saw that he was holding her down and pecking at her head. Then several,if not most, of the other hens ran over and started to do the same.. They were attacking her. I managed to scare them off long enough for her to escape and go into the coop,back in the corner. Anyone know why they would be turning against her? She has been with the flock since I've gotten them. I'm really scared that they might kill her. I can't understand why they are doing this.

Last edited: May 15, 2008
  2. Myst4

Apr 1, 2008
    N.S., Canada
    Is there anyone out there that can give me some advice on this???? Please help.....thanks for any advice in advance.

3. jdypat

jdypat Chillin' With My Peeps

i have 3 hens who are third generation inbred with the same rooster. they stand as you said.. facing each other and their tails down.. do not socialize do not eat til the others leave.. last in the roost. the other hens attack them if they get close.
    I should cull them but they are no trouble. to me. jdy

4. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    If there is blood or an open wound you need to remove her and put her somewhere where they cant get to her.

Do they have enough space?
    Sometimes pecking like that can be caused by cramped conditions.

Do they have food and water all day?
    Do they have grit or shells to feast on instead of her head?

Just some thoughts hope they help.

5. Myst4

Apr 1, 2008
    N.S., Canada
    Quote:I could never cull anything...I might sell her though. She has been fine and accepted in the flock until recently(not sure why). I'm going to check around my area and see if I can find a newhome for her.

6. mmajw

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    I have one in a seperation pen right now because after a year of everything going ok, all of a sudden the others pecked her to the point of blood and her wing barbs showing. She is going to stay seperated until all her feathers grow back and then I will try and introduce her back in.

7. SoccerMomof7

SoccerMomof7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Kansas
    Where are you from?

8. Myst4

Apr 1, 2008
    N.S., Canada
    Quote:They have lots of space,food and water filled every day(I couldn't sleep at night without making sure any of my animals have a good supply of water and food). They also have shells and grit. They've only just recently started this. I think I might have to find another home for her [​IMG] and she is such a nice hen(likes to be held).

Last edited: May 15, 2008
  9. mmajw

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    It is always the nice ones that get picked on. Mine is a sweet one too. I hope it works out for you.

You may want to try and seperating her for a while until they establish a new pecking order then try and re-introduce her and see if that makes a difference.

10. priszilla

priszilla Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    easley sc
    I usually try to take out the meanies and keep the sweet ones- maybe take out the 1 or 2 most bully ones- and then re introduce them ina few days or a week. ANd if the roo is being ugly- take him out for up to a week- he isn't needed really.He may have better manners later on

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by