MAJOR problem with the puppies

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by debilorrah, Sep 13, 2009.

1. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

As many of you know, when we moved in here the previous tenants left some two week old pups. We kept three of them. They are great about barking when some one or something is near and never had a problem at all until today.

Ken was mucking the coops and one bird decided to rest outside while he did his thing. No sooner did she walk outside when one of the pups pounced on her, grabbed her by her neck and started shaking her. DSS caught the dog within seconds so the bird was unhurt, but I can't have those dogs NOT protecting the birds!!!!

They are 5 months old now - any suggestions??

2. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

Simple, get rid of them.

3. debilorrah

Quote:You say simple, but I would love to give them a chance. I am hoping some training suggestions, not just simply get rid of them. Not that kinda gal here.

4. Big Red's Mom

Big Red's Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Terry, Mississippi
    Try a shock collar....I had to do this with my Golden to keep her out of the road.....If training does not work...Try taking them to a no kill shelter or put up posters at the local Farmers Market, Feed store....etc....Just disclose that they are not good with birds......
    Good Luck....Those kinds of things always happen to me when I am trying to do something good.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2009
  5. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

Quote:You say simple, but I would love to give them a chance. I am hoping some training suggestions, not just simply get rid of them. Not that kinda gal here.

Debi,

I hope you didn't think I was implying to kill them. I was saying find them a new home.

I don't have any good "humane" ideas for training them not to bother the chickens. Sorry

6. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

Well you remember the great pyr rescue that we gave 4 different chances? It took 4 dead birds to convince DH and he STILL didn't believe it until he came home from work one day to see her tossing a lifeless turkey in the air playing with it. Once they ever get a bite of one, they will be chicken killers forever. That's what they do.

7. debilorrah

Big Red's Mom :

Try a shock collar....I had to do this with my Golden to keep her out of the road.....If training does not work...Try taking them to a no kill shelter or put up posters at the local Farmers Market, Feed store....etc....Just disclose that they are not good with birds......
    Good Luck....Those kinds of things always happen to me when I am trying to do something good.

I am wondering if keeping one would work, as three are a pack.... The two that fight all the time, one of them did this. The bigger girl just sits there and watches them.​

8. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    Having one may be better than all three.
    Good luck, I don't have ideas for you. [​IMG]

9. debilorrah

Debi,

I hope you didn't think I was implying to kill them. I was saying find them a new home.

I don't have any good "humane" ideas for training them not to bother the chickens. Sorry

No no no, I would rather try to work with them first. I am not the kind to just not try is what I meant. If it was a full grown dog I would agree with you, but they are only 5 months old.

10. sweet tweets

sweet tweets Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2009
    When our chickens started free ranging we took both of our dogs outside on leash. The dogs had to lay down and remain calm. We did this for quite a while. Corrections, leash tug and "no" were given when either one showed to much interest or started to get tense.
    The next step was off leash, but any chasing type behavior immediately resulted in the offending dog being sent into the house.
    Now the dogs and chickens can be in the yard together. Luckily my DH is retired, so the dogs are only outside when someone is home. But they have all coexisted for a year now.

Good luck Deb!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by