major question on worms chickens pullets ducks what kind when etc

newbiechickenowner

Songster
10 Years
Oct 28, 2009
Georgia, VT
who to treat? adults and pullets? What about the ducks? Is it the same medicine for the ducks? I just went out and had noticed some more runny poops lately in the adult hen coop run. I looked down and low and behold I could see a tiny worm-like thing squiggling around in the poop. NASTY! I tried to scoop it up with a stick to get a better look, but couldn't find it again. It was small and skinny and very short, if you stretched it out probably not even an inch long. Anyway, several question.
I know that I have gotten feedback and should use Wazine. I am going to put that in their water tonight. HOWEVER, the pullets have been in with them and the ducks are next door and I am thinking that I should treat everyone...the pullets are at least 2 1/2 months old. are they old enough? is it the same for the ducks? Wazine? Should I followup with anything? How can I treat the ground where they have all been pooping? of course the run for the ducks is covered in it. I put down shavings on the chickens and will begin the scooping process and then turn the soil, but, still...is there anything?

Do I do just the Wazine or followup with something else?

Thanks so much. I freak out at worms!

Wazine is a very poor wormer, it only get large round worms.
Safegard and Ivermectin are the best products to use.
They are good for all poultry
Safegard is used at 3 cc's per gallon for 3 days.
Ivermectin is not water souluable so must be give orally to each individual bird.
Both kill a wide array of worms, Ivermectin does the most and also gets extrenal parasites, but is a pain to use. Doseage for it varies on strenght of item and age and size of birds.
Best to treat at least 2 times a year, once in early spring before egg production begins, again after it stops in the fall.
Also best to give one, then the other about 10 days later. This way you break the life cycle of the worms.
Bleach the heck out of your ground will help as far as that goes.

Hope that helped a bit

thank you. I have read and I sent a note to three horses hoping she will answer.... this is what I wrote incase she happens along here or you have an idea...
I hope that you don't mind I contacted you separately. I had a thread someone answered and recommended you...

The girls have worms. I have an original batch that had them last fall and I fenbendazole'd and then wazined....I was a newbie.

Then, this summer, I added a couple of older pullets from here and there and there are some 2 1/2-4 month olds that are also added next door (but have been able to free range with them and get into their run so would need to be treated). Anyway, I started noticing runny poop and then, today, something very small, thin and round wriggling around. IT was not the 3'round worm I saw last year. Anyway, they need to be wormed. I also have ducks that are right there as well. So, I treated them all with Wazine tonight.... ducks, chickens, pullets, and youngsters/bantam youngsters. My question is...I saw lots of info on following up with Ivermectin. Given that I have such a range in age and size and also bantam and ducks (those are next door, but we could have tracked in eggs), what do you think that the next dewormer I should use would be? The Ivermectin? If so, can you tell me dosing sizes, instructions and also give me a detailed example of what I am looking for at the Co-Op. Because, this is what happens, I SCOUR your info as well as some of the others that seem so knowledgable and I read and read and copy and paste and print and think I have a plan and then I get to the Co-Op and BAMMMMM every time! I get knocked back down because there is never chicken medicine or any bottles that look or say remotely what I think I am supposed to be buying. So, I either guess or I come home and reread and try to guess what the heck to use. There is no poultry support around here...no vet...you get the idea. The tsc and co-op guys have no idea so I am TRULY at the mercy of what I can decipher from the boards....THANK GOODNESS for BYC! I would have never made it through this first year because I love them so and it is so rewarding, but, at times, have become so discouraged when faced with issues like this. If I had the correct medicines and knew how to apply and what to apply and how much and when...I would feel much more confident. So, they all had wazine tonight. that is where I am at. I would appreciate your feedback. What do you think is my next step? Thank you so much for the time that you take on BYC to help out folks like myself.

I suggest that you just buy it online. That's what I had to do. I decided to buy the Wazine first since it's the cheapest and all I've noticed in their poop has been round worms. I bought a 16 oz bottle for 12,49 (including shipping), which was still much less than the Ivermectin. I'm going to treat once tomorrow and again in ten days to kill all the adults. If I notice them to keep getting worse, I'll treat three times in a row at a slightly stronger dosage.

After the wazine, in 2 weeks, worm with Ivermectin 5mg pour-on for cattle. It's not the brand name, it's the off brand. (blue liquid) It's cheaper, and works the same. The doses are in the thread I sent you. The dosages are on page 2, 2nd post down. After this worming with ivermectin, you'll want to worm spring and fall with ivermectin.

I haven't seen three horses on here for months. Hope she's ok.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom