Major Temp Fluctuation...Do I still have hope?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Lolliegee, Feb 1, 2009.

1. Lolliegee

Lolliegee Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Cottage Grove, OR
    Yikes, the fire in our woodstove went out for the first time in weeks, causing the house to get quite chilly. It really affected my homemade 'bator. The temp got down to 96 for a few hours. I added another light while I was re-building the fire. I looked and somehow the temp in the 'bator had gotten up to 105!!! I think this was only for a few minutes, but I'm scared for my baby duckies. I had candled them last night and saw that they were all moving.

What are the chances that they are ok? What damage could I have done?

Keeping my fingers crossed. [​IMG]

2. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    I have had short spike to 113 and still got 5 out of 7 so if it was for a short time ai wouldn't worry about it ! [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. moduckman

moduckman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2009
    Cairo, Missouri
    They should be just fine. Anyway, you're still going to go the full 21 days, right?

4. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    I wouldnt worry too much. It takes longer than 21 days for ducks doesnt it? I have never hatched ducks.

5. TillinWithMyPeeps

TillinWithMyPeeps Waiting for Spring...

Aug 22, 2008
    Ohio
    I hate to break it to you, but....

They should be fine [​IMG]

Mine birds went through all kinds of temperatures extremes. Temp spikes to around 105 and temp lows to about 70 (the incubator got unplugged)

[​IMG]

6. moduckman

moduckman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2009
    Cairo, Missouri
    Ooops!! Didn't read very well. 28 days for ducks![​IMG]

7. Lolliegee

Lolliegee Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Cottage Grove, OR
    Thanks for your responses...I'm feeling better already. Yes, I'll go the full time...28 days for ducks. I started with 8 and have 6 left. One was infertile and one had very early death (had the red ring). As of last night, they were all moving. They are day 9. I'm so excited to get them, I can't wait.

[​IMG] Keeping my fingers crossed.

8. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Quote:That is my NIGHTMARE... That someone unplugs the incubator!

We have 3 kids on a student exchange coming from Germany this next weekend and I'm hoping they understand enough English so that I can say DO NOT TOUCH, DO NOT GET NEAR THIS DEVICE.

Perhaps I'll go onto free translation.com and write something up and tape it around the bator and the plug.

9. TillinWithMyPeeps

TillinWithMyPeeps Waiting for Spring...

Aug 22, 2008
    Ohio
    Well, no one in particular unplugged it. It is actually kind of my fault. I stepped on the cord, pulling it enough out of the socket to turn off the power. I didn't realize it until I went to turn them, and noticed they were cold. The hatch went fine anyway though.

No casualties [​IMG]

10. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

well, I've never hatched ducks, but I have eggs hatching right now (chicks) and my temps have been up and down a lot this time, and my humidity even has been bad - but so far 5 out of 20 have hatched, and I got two days to go til they ought to all have hatched. I am hoping I get more than 5 [​IMG]

my temps swung from 95 to 107, so I wouldn't worry as long as it isn't too high or too low for too long.

I need to stop hatching in the winter - yeah, like that's gonna happen [​IMG].

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by