Majorly different growth rates in chicks?

karmical

Crowing
16 Years
Aug 3, 2007
Honeoye Falls, NY
Do chicks grow at crazy different rates? I lost one last week at 10 days old who had pretty much just stopped growing, and so now I'm feeling so anxious about whether the rest are growing normally!

I have one that seems SO much bigger and feathered in than the rest...if not for her I might not be so worried.

Here's my flock...two Gold Laced Wyandottes and then one each of: Welsummer, Buff Golden, Silver Cuckoo Maran, and standard White Cochin.

It's one of the two Wyandottes who is waaaaaay more feathered in than the other. Could that just indicate one is a Roo?

Pics are of the two Wyandottes
IMG_5381.JPG
IMG_5385.JPG
IMG_5392.JPG
and then the whole crew. Do they look okay for 2 weeks? SO paranoid!!

They all look normal. I wouldn't worry.
The one with more feathers does look more rooish but at two weeks most of the time it is hard to tell.

Your Marans looks like it might be a cockerel.
Your fist pic looks like a speckled Sussex.

And is that a Welsummer that has no tail? Did you get these sexed or straight run?

I got them sexed from mypetchicken...the top two pics are "supposed to be" gold laced wyandottes...

The Welsummer is supposed to be the one farthest right and has a tail just coming though.

Sounds like we might have some surprises ahead!

I don't even see a Wyandotte unless it's the one I think is the cuckoo Marans.

The first two pics are supposed to be the Wyandottes...and I think the Maran is the darkest with her head down in the dish.

Well this is going to be interesting! I wonder if mypetchicken gets breeds wrong sometimes? I know they can't guarantee the sexing but I sure was hoping we would be roo-free....

Farthest right, tail barely coming is your Wyandotte, should not have a straight comb but rather a rose comb. But unless the dark one with head in dish is the same, you do not have 2. Do you know which kind passed? Chick with head in bowl is NOT a Wyandotte but maybe your Welsumer. Other dark one with head in dish, I can't see at all, may well be your Marans. Probably is, since it's mostly black with a white spot on head. Looked at my Sussex chick & it doesn't have speckling like that one yet (so forget my earlier suggestion since it's already older than yours. Also take back Marans cockerel since I think that's ur Wyandotte), but my production red does. Your Cochin is correct.

I actually don't know what a buff golden is unless a sexlink. After checking the site, I see that's what it is...

Yes, it's possible for MPC to send the wrong breeds.. we all make mistakes. :he If you go to their site you might be able to figure out which chicks you have according to what they have available and how closely the pics match yours...
https://www.mypetchicken.com/catalog/Day-Old-Baby-Chicks-c36.aspx

If you have it available, you should bring in a dish of dirt from your yard if you don't already take them out. They will bathe and peck in the dirt and it will help them build a little immunity to the organisms in your yard before they go out full time. Plus free grit. :)

Hope you get all girls! I can't see the Wyandotte tail for sure but the Welsumer is the one that would have me thinking cockerel. :fl And I think the speckled one might be a surprise breed.

Sorry for writing jumbled circles, details spin in my head! :p

Farthest right, tail barely coming is your Wyandotte, should not have a straight comb but rather a rose comb. But unless the dark one with head in dish is the same, you do not have 2. Do you know which kind passed? Chick with head in bowl is NOT a Wyandotte but maybe your Welsumer. Other dark one with head in dish, I can't see at all, may well be your Marans. Probably is, since it's mostly black with a white spot on head. Looked at my Sussex chick & it doesn't have speckling like that one yet (so forget my earlier suggestion since it's already older than yours. Also take back Marans cockerel since I think that's ur Wyandotte), but my production red does. Your Cochin is correct.

I actually don't know what a buff golden is unless a sexlink. After checking the site, I see that's what it is...

Yes, it's possible for MPC to send the wrong breeds.. we all make mistakes. :he If you go to their site you might be able to figure out which chicks you have according to what they have available and how closely the pics match yours...
https://www.mypetchicken.com/catalog/Day-Old-Baby-Chicks-c36.aspx

If you have it available, you should bring in a dish of dirt from your yard if you don't already take them out. They will bathe and peck in the dirt and it will help them build a little immunity to the organisms in your yard before they go out full time. Plus free grit. :)

Hope you get all girls! I can't see the Wyandotte tail for sure but the Welsumer is the one that would have me thinking cockerel. :fl And I think the speckled one might be a surprise breed.

Sorry for writing jumbled circles, details spin in my head! :p

Thanks for your comments! The one that passed was a Welsummer. So many breeds of chicks seem to look somewhat similar at this stage...I guess it comes down to wait and see...it is fun trying to figure it all out though! :)

My girls thank you for your dirt suggestion...A couple of them have been trying to dust bathe in the shavings and are SO happy to have the dirt!! I'm going to need to move it away from the water though!
IMG_5406.JPG

Back
Top Bottom