Make sure you chickens stay cool in warm weather- RIP 'tigerlily'

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickenmad129, Jul 26, 2014.

1. chickenmad129

chickenmad129 In the Brooder

Jan 16, 2013
    So i'm very new to chickens and only had mine for 3 months but i'm worried about one of my birds (sablepoot/booted bantam) who is not very active when she is still only 14 weeks old. all the other chicks seem to be fine. she is drinking but not eating very much. Recently we have had very hot days and i thought she may have sunstroke?! Her eyes seem to be half open and she falls asleep in the day. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank You!![​IMG]

Sadly she passed today as she couldn't cope with the heat as she was so young.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
  2. Judy

Judy Crowing Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    When they are overheated, they typically stand with their wings slightly away from their body, as if airing out their "armpits," plus breathe with their mouth open. At 100 degrees, chickens are at the top end of their heat tolerance, or so I have read. So yes, this cold well be heat stroke or sunstroke. In hot weather, shade, breeze and a good supply of fresh water are necessities. Every year you will read here of people losing a few chickens to the heat.

People hose down their soil, put ice in drinking water, wet up misters, create primitive air conditioning by blowing air over ice or wet butlap bag, lay frozen soda bottles on the coop floor for them to cuddle up to -- all sorts of strategies. There are lots of threads here about dealing with summer heat.

3. lightchick

lightchick Crowing

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    x2! I agree with Judy.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
  4. chickenmad129

Jan 16, 2013
    Sadly 'tigerlily' passed away about an hour ago however for the who day i watched over her with a fan and gave her water. Poor girl she just couldn't cope with the heat.

5. lightchick

lightchick Crowing

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    Oh so sorry for your loss! [​IMG][​IMG]

6. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Crowing

She was also at a prime age for coccidiosis and being lethargic and not eating are some of the first visible symptoms. I'm not saying it wasn't the heat but just be aware and keep a close eye on the others. If any more start acting slow and not eating start a course of Corid asap. In fact you should just go ahead and get some to keep on hand since you have young birds.

1 person likes this.
  7. chickenmad129

Jan 16, 2013

They have that in there food but might just give them some just incase, my daughter has been in tears as she was the one who wanted them so much for years. :hit

8. lightchick

lightchick Crowing

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota

9. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Crowing

Medicated feed will not always prevent an outbreak and it definitely won't treat an outbreak. Coccidiosis is lethal so fast that if you even suspect it might be the cause you should always treat asap. Always better to be safe then sorry in that situation.

10. chickenmad129

Jan 16, 2013

Ok it's midnight here in Uk but after reading more about it I'm sure they have it :hit their skin is paler round the face, they don't drink very much, a couple of weeks ago I saw blood in their poo and it's often diaherra. I actually took one of my chickens to the vets a couple weeks ago when it had a cough and took antibiotics but still hasn't gone away. Now Getting really worried especially as going away in a week for two weeks. How much will it cost to treat 6 birds and how long is the course? Thank you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by