Make sure you turn off Electricity OW!!!!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by djackjr, Sep 17, 2009.

1. djackjr

djackjr Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Graham Wa.
    I thought I had turned off the electricity to my coop. Guess again. Man that smarts!!!! On a second note figured out why the light quit working, stupid mice stored seeds inside the light system!!!!!

2. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Ow! Glad you're okay! Bet that was a surprise [​IMG]

This is why I keep insisting to my husband that he actually CHECK, with one of those little light-up wand thingies, that the current is off in a wire he is about to fiddle with. We had a big flash and bang last winter when he (intentionally) cut through the incubator cord wire without remembering to unplug it... since then, he argues less when I ask if he's *checked* the wire first [​IMG]

Be careful out there,

Pat

3. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Oh Owie!!

I did that a few years ago changing the element in my oven. Hubby said "No you don't have to flip the breaker switch"...next thing I know I was on my butt on the other side of the kitchen.

Darn mice anyhow. My indoor/outdoor cats keep the mice away and don't bother the chickens. If I get anybody to go broody next year I'm going to have to put them in the 7x13 dog kennel though, don't trust the kitties with little chicks.

4. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Hehe
    At our old house the wiring was pretty funky. Somebody put in two 110 breakers, instead of one 220, for the a/c unit. Dad didn't realize that there were 2 breakers for it, so he flipped ONE of them off.......and then split the head of his screwdriver when he stuck it in there! [​IMG]

At least the wiring in this house isn't too funky.

5. djackjr

djackjr Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Graham Wa.
    may need to get a cat or two to keep the mice in check...... I cannot believe they got inside the fixture hooked to the ceiling and stored seeds [​IMG]

6. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Sounds more like squirrels to me.

7. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:I am trying to imagine how you're going to get a CAT into the fixture hooked to the ceiling to CHASE the mice... LOL (yes, I do know what you mean though <g>)

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by