Make up your dang mind already

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by motorboat, Mar 20, 2013.

1. motorboat

motorboat Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2012
    One of my Game Hens goes on and off sitting on eggs but she wont funny commit to it. When I go in to get the eggs she's in the box and if you try to get them she screeches a bit and pecks at you. She looks broody so I leave the eggs under her and the next day she's walking around like she never sat once. Rinse, repeat. This odd on again off again behavior has been going on for two weeks.

Just want to know if she's wanting to brood and if so is there anything I can do to get her to fully commit?

The nest boxes are inside. It's almost totally dark in there and it's elevate 4 feet off the ground.

I hear game hens have not had the broody gene bred out of them so I'm hopeful she will commit.

Thanks

2. BunkyB

BunkyB Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow, I just finished trying to help someone with a hen that is or may be broody. I am not a game hen owner but I made this suggestion and story. I did own some very fussy Seabrights.

Keep an eye on her. Look for sign of fluffing up the feathers when she hops off the nest for a feeding or walking around fluffed up. Look for a loss of feathers below her crop. If you see a bald spot happening then there is a chance she is getting broody.

For the heck of it, take a marker and mark each egg in the nest with an x or anything...lol Over the next couple of days pop down to the nesting boxes and see if she is setting more often than you do now. Put your hand on the eggs and continue to feel for warmth If they are staying realatively warm you may have a broody.

Pop down after dark and see whether or she sits on the eggs overnight... Hopefully she does. The reason for the marker on the egg thing is to tell if the other hens are laying their eggs in her box. Obviously the egg without the marker is freshly layed. If you are unsure whether or not she is serious about setting you can take the unmarked eggs for yourself and leave the marked ones in the nest for a while longer.

I have been surprised before with the "is she broody, is she not" before and I dated the eggs. Up to a week later I took all new eggs out and she finally settled down and had a 100% hatch from the marked eggs. They surprise me to this day and it has been over 20 years raising them... Have fun Steve

3. motorboat

motorboat Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2012
    OK, good suggestions, thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by