Makeing winter pen today!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DUCKGIRL89, Oct 14, 2011.

1. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    After the ducks made a mess of things in their old, breaking down pen, i am now gonna be starting their new winter pen. Fresh new strong, non rusty fencing!!!! will get pics!!!

BTW, does anyone have a good watering system that I could use for them? They made their old pen gross and muddy, becuz they make such a mess with water!

Last edited: Oct 14, 2011
  2. featherfinder

featherfinder Runner Lover

lol system*

And try not to keep them a muddy or easily flooded area.

3. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Dont worry, they wont be in a muddy area, the area im puting the pen on is kinda the farms "junk yard" so I need to clean it up. Lol. I was waiting to put them in there because they was no grass, but now there is [​IMG]

Whats a "lol system" im confused? Lol!

Last edited: Oct 14, 2011
  4. dumb_cluck

dumb_cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Upstate NY
    Quote:Check your spelling! [​IMG]

5. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN

Sorry, just corrected my self, I was in a rush.

6. featherfinder

Sorry, just corrected my self, I was in a rush.

Lol o should have probable quoted you when i said that.

7. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Quote:Sorry, just corrected my self, I was in a rush.

Lol o should have probable quoted you when i said that.

Im still confused? Lol!

8. featherfinder

Quote:Here is your first post. The bold word is what i was correcting you on. System is the correct spelling.

9. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Quote:Here is your first post. The bold word is what i was correcting you on. System is the correct spelling.

Oooohhhhh, I forgot how to spell it, lol. I'll fix it.

10. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    It helps to control mud if the waterers are set on a drainage pit.

I build heavy wooden frames with cross pieces. Set them slightly into the dirt, so the bottom of the frame is below ground level and the top is several inches above ground level. Then I staple rabbit wire (or hardware cloth would work) over the frame work.

The ducks can walk on it and the water they splash out goes down into the pit where they can't dabble in it to make mud.

I like the frame heavy enough that I can walk on it if I have to. The first one I made was filled with gravel and they managed to get enough mud through the wire to gum up the gravel, so now pits are just empty space.

They will carry dirt to the waterer to make mud, so it isn't totally clean, but it is a heck of a lot less mess than waters set directly on the ground. The ducks will be cleaner because they can't splash so much mud all over each other.

By the way, the ducks acted like I'd added a werewolf to their night pen when I put the pits in there. Everybody standing at the door way, quacking and peeking through the door. I had to shove them in to put them away and then they wouldn't walk past it.

A couple of minutes later, they had adapted to the new item in their pen. But those ducks sure don't like any changes in their routine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by