1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Makes no sense to me... Etsy Sellers

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Bleenie, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

I am not referring to All Etsy sellers BUT...

I was just looking at crochet baby blanket patterns on Etsy and I cannot believe how many people have patterns for SALE but then they say "you can Not sell items made with this pattern.", does this seem stupid to anyone else?? I mean, if I am going to pay My money for the pattern, buy the yarn for the project with My money and spend My time making it I think I should be able to do what I want with it when i'm done.

I buy books for patterns and none of them say "don't sell items made with these patterns" in them, I just don't understand the way people think.

[​IMG]

2. duckluck

duckluck Dulcimyrh Ducks

Oct 22, 2009
    Illinois
    That makes no sense to me and I fail to see how they can control it. All you'd have to do is make an alteration to the pattern and it is no longer the same pattern. Is there any official mark of copyright on them at all, or are they just blowing smoke?

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  3. Some people don't think things through!:rolleyes:

4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Idiots..

5. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Its their original idea.Its like buying a DVD movie. JUst because you buy the DVD doesnt give you the right to make copies and sell them yourself. Its copy right infringement.

6. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    I don't think that applies here. You can't sell the patterns, but I'll bet there is nothing in the law that says you cannot sell things made from the pattern. It is unenforceable anyway.

I used to breed purebred show quality dairy goats. If you have your doe bred to a buck owned by someone else you have to get a service memo signed by the buck owner in order to register the offspring. Occasionally breeders would specify "does only" service memoes, saying you could register the female offspring resulting from this mating, not the males. In other words, they did not want bucks related to theirs standing at stud. They thought it would affect their income. I wasn't willing to deal with this nonsense. If I pay $100 to get my doe bred, I am going to register any kids I see fit. Plus the registry does not recognize "does only" service memoes, so unless you sign another contract, you can register whatever kids you want. I used to thank such "breeders" for telling me ahead of time which of their bucks were not good enough to be used to sire breeding bucks. That wasn't their intent, but I would say that to rattle their cage. If I wanted to use a buck the owner insisted on issuing a "does only' service memo, I would just ignore it. I would do the same thing on the etsy thing.

7. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    It's a respect thing. While it is unenforceable, I respect the requests when I buy a pattern. If it doesn't have the request and it is something I make for sale, I buy the pattern again after I have made 5 or 10 of the item.

My mother used to make these awesome slippers and died with no pattern written, only her notes and a half finished slipper on the needles. I spent months recreating it. I knitted dozens of slippers while rewriting the pattern until I had it right.

I published it and donate all proceeds to her favorite charity in her memory. I have added this request to not recreate for profit to the pattern along with a little bit about her. While I cannot legally enforce this, it would make me sad if someone took advantage of her (and my) hard work and creativity. Especially when neither of us is profiting from it at all.

Do unto others.....

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by