1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Makes or females. ? Help

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by BradyK, Apr 14, 2016.

1. BradyK

BradyK Out Of The Brooder

Jan 15, 2016
    I get very confused. Could a kind chicken person help this newbie identify sex? Thanks so much. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Can you post a picture of the chicks face and body. Wing sexing-barred-rock-chicks only works with certain breeds and as I understand it, only at a day old. Instead look at comb growth, color, Feather shape when old enough ect. A full body pic may help

3. BradyK

Jan 15, 2016
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The first wing is of the Americuana marble coloring with chipmunk striping down the back. The second and third we aren't sure which breed it is. Thanks again so much for even checking to see for me. The chick with dark coloring was born one full day prior to the two light kids.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
  4. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    You will know in another 4 to 6 weeks.

5. BradyK

Jan 15, 2016
    Yes and thanks Keesmom, I have a handicapped daughter and we have been hatching eggs for many people in our area and it has helped my daughter come completely out of a rough depression from losing her job. Each hatch has been for someone special and this batch was going to be for our chickens with most of the prep being done for them and I was hoping to tell before she got too attached. As we are not allowed Roo's in our city limit. I love them all but the rules on that really stink. This is why I was hoping to find out a little earlier. :)

6. Jensownzoo

Jensownzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO
    Well, if you really NEED to know you can have them DNA sexed for about $25 each.

7. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    If you need easily sexed chicks, next time you incubate see if you can locate sex link eggs (red or black). You will be able to tell by down color what sex you have. Some hatcheries have them.

8. BradyK

Jan 15, 2016
    Ah no not that important. We have a lot of chicken people around here outside of city limits that would love the roo's. We just hand raise them to be so sweet and we're looking forward to this being two of our females. I really think I have two males and a female. Thanks y'all

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by