Making a brooder

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ChickenSahib, Jul 14, 2011.

1. ChickenSahib

ChickenSahib Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2011
    Hayward
    Hey All,

Since my Grandma has chickens, I've been wanting my own to take care of them the way I want to, not that my G'ma is doing anything bad.

Within the next year I plan on buying 2~3 chicks from local feed stores and maybe down the road a heritage breed.

Now, I don't want to spend a whole bunch of money at once so that's why I'm asking this question early and because I'm in debt as a college student [​IMG].

So far I've bought a fairly good size pet carrier for the beginning.

I was wondering what else I would need and where I could get the materials?

I know the carrier will last me maybe a couple of weeks, I then plan on moving to a big rubbermaid tub or the like and then the coop that I also have to start gathering materials.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

-Hamza

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hi! I use a big plastic storage bin, and you will need a heat source, like a heat lamp for them. Not sure how a pet carrier would work because how will you hang the light?

Really, all you need are pine shavings, a chick waterer and feeder, and the heat lamp. When they start to get larger, you need some type of lid to contain them, or they will be little feathery escape artists.....

3. ChickenSahib

May 21, 2011
    Hayward
    Where could I get a cheap heat lamp? Do I need one of those reflectors too? If I get a bulb only, how would I supply power to it? And do I need a thermometer?

For the pet carrier... I'm fairly certain the top can come off. So yeah! If not, I'll use it for isolation purposes.

Waterer and feeder. Hmmm. You think I can make some out of yogurt containers [​IMG] ?

Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
  4. G3iMacMan

G3iMacMan New Egg

Jul 14, 2011
    I used this instructable to make my brooder: Brooder

I got feeder/drinker from Tractor Supply: Feeder / Drinker / Jar

But as my chicks got bigger, they kept knocking over the feeder/drinker, so I would have rather made drop feeders and get a drinker with a nipple like what is used here:Wall Mounted

You'll want a reflector: Reflector
    And Bulb: Heat Lamp
    Also, please use a thermometer so that you'r not over/under warming the chicks.

5. ChickenSahib

May 21, 2011
    Hayward
    Quote:Wow! Thanks for the post. Unfortunately I don't have TSC nearby. I'll scavenge things from my local stores.

6. G3iMacMan

G3iMacMan New Egg

Jul 14, 2011
    Quote:The same products are at several Feed Stores.
    I've been to most in my area.
    I find them by searching Feed Store on Google Maps.

But I also know that the reflector / heat lamps can be had at Walmart or a hardware store (Lowes/Home Depot/ McCoys).
    I'm willing to bet that a The Feeders /Drinkser in the Rabbit section at PetsMart/Pet Co would work too. I think Wal-Mart also has them.

But yeah, Wal-Mart has a few thinkgs, Pet Stores can be a great, and the Hardware stores are good too.

7. Cadjien_De_Louisiane

Cadjien_De_Louisiane SWLA Gamefowl Breeder

Apr 18, 2011
    Welsh, LA
    Most walmarts have heat lamps and red 250w bulbs, I would just buy feeder and waterer. They make them so they cant get there feet wet or fall in. I use to use cardboard box but I just built a brooder. Pine shavings not cedar, or newspapper, unless you put pine shavings on top of newspapper..

8. chicken_noob

chicken_noob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2011
    Chehalis WA.
    Be careful about that heat lamp in a pet carrier. I had a large rubbermaid tub that I used with a heat lamp, and it started to melt the plastic.. since I was inside with my brooders I took one, filled it with moist dirt about 2"deep then placed a lil piece of wood and stepped on it to pack the dirt. I then took a plant frame (like you use on a tomato plant) and placed it in the brooder. Then I placed a regular 100w bulb in the lamp and hung it in the plant frame. This way I could move it up or down as to how the chicks acted twards the heat. The dirt floor was a thought that it would feel more like outside. On this brooder I didn't have a top on it. Was about 18" deep. Chicks grow fast and some get feathers rather quick. I also used a cage I got at a garage sale that I think it was for a gunie pig. Its metal with a removable bottom that's about 3" deep. The cage is roughly 2x3 and 18" tall. On this I placed a 60w bulb in and sat it on the cage. As they grew I would move the light up off it. I guess it depends on where you are gonna set it up. I just made a new brooder that replaced my 1st two. Its 3x4 and 2' tall (plus 3.5" for the frame of the wire "lid") I bought some sheets of 3/4" plywood and I think 3/4" OSB for $5 ea. The new brooder is 1/2 sand and 1/2 pine shavings. It has a roost, bricks with water/food on them. More space for the birds to chase ea. around and practice flapping their wings. I also mounted a 2x2 inside each 1/2 to create a lip for the lights to clamp onto and also allows for height adjustment. I have 12 chicks in it so this gives them 1sq ft ea. seems good enough for now. Ill try to add a few pics of it.

9. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I have used the boxes that the grocery stores get their watermelons in as brooders. I put a piece of cardboard in the bottom and put pine shavings in it.

10. ChickenSahib

May 21, 2011
    Hayward
    Will the rubbermaid container really melt?

If so, I'll just ask my dad for a fridge box or something.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by