Making a diy incubator mostly for peafowl

ronzxcvb

Songster
May 6, 2017
Chester South Carolina
1. Would tilting or rolling be better for peafowl and guineas (I assumed rolling but can still change)
2. I ordered this motor off eBay better recommendation? or should I hand turn? (I read somewhere bump turning was best for peafowl)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/110V-AC-Eg...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
3. I ran a test and temps were even and stable empty but have been thinking I should tilt the fan about 1/4" towards the side wall for better circulation
012.jpg 010.jpg 011.jpg 002.jpg
Thanks for any help

For what you have into that, you should have just bought an incubator on E-Bay and saved yourself a headache.

building an incubator is fairly simple and a lot cheaper to make a something that works better I did get a Chinese one to use as a backup and may use it for a hatcher
Which this one will be used for in a few years when I build a cabinet
$13.00 for the turner
$1.59 for an outlet
$0.99 for light bulb
$3.89 spray paint
I did buy a $14 controller that didn't work so I used the one from the pump house
rest of the stuff I already had
So technically have $19.47 invested now but actually will be $33.47

building an incubator is fairly simple and a lot cheaper to make a something that works better I did get a Chinese one to use as a backup and may use it for a hatcher
Which this one will be used for in a few years when I build a cabinet
$13.00 for the turner
$1.59 for an outlet
$0.99 for light bulb
$3.89 spray paint
I did buy a $14 controller that didn't work so I used the one from the pump house
rest of the stuff I already had
So technically have $19.47 invested now but actually will be $33.47

Building an incubator is pretty fun, too! I've built 3 in the past 7 or 8 years. My first practice/learning one was with a standard sized styrofoam cooler. It didn't ever work very well, as I had hot and cold spots. My second one, it was a bit more involved. I used one of the really large hard-sided coolers (I think it was 150 qt), had a blower in it, had a hand-turner rigging I made that turned 3 different rows of 1 1/2 dozen eggs each, and had a hatching area, too, plus a protected water tank for plenty of humidity. It worked pretty darn good for a second try! About 70-75% hatch rate.

My third attempt was with a broken dorm fridge I got for nothing. I had a friend give me some double paned windows, too, so I took one apart and installed half of it into the door of the dorm fridge so I could see inside. I have 3 turners in it - one I bought full price, one was given to me because it was "broken" (needed a new moter, which I got cheap on eBay), and I got one cheap from another friend. The heating element is from an old styrofoam incubator gotten at an auction for $5, as is the thermostat. It uses a little personal desk fan (about 5" diameter) for moving the heat around. I cut down a big plastic jug that held cat litter, which fit perfectly into the bottom shelf in the door, and it holds the water. I use cotton cloths to wick up the water to help with humidity. I have a half dozen holes on each side to control air flow and adjust humidity. And the very top has a hatching tray.

Including sealant and wire connectors, I spent about $70 for a bator equivalent to $450-500 ones. And I get (depending on whether the fellas did their part) about 90% hatch rate, with chickens, quail, guineas, turkeys, even waterfowl.

1. Would tilting or rolling be better for peafowl and guineas (I assumed rolling but can still change)
2. I ordered this motor off eBay better recommendation? or should I hand turn? (I read somewhere bump turning was best for peafowl)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/110V-AC-Egg-Turner-Motor-Rotator-Motor-Farm-Incubator-Hatcher-Brooder-Farm-D-US/282829180084?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
3. I ran a test and temps were even and stable empty but have been thinking I should tilt the fan about 1/4" towards the side wall for better circulation
View attachment 1262564 View attachment 1262565 View attachment 1262566 View attachment 1262567
Thanks for any help

I don't know about peafowl, specifically, but I've had better luck with autoturners that tilt rather than roll.

As for the fan... I would definitely at least deflect the air so it circulates more rather than just blowing straight down.

Looks like you're well on your way, anyway. Have fun! I enjoy building incubators!

Back
Top Bottom