Making a DIY Incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Scottyhorse, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Scottyhorse

Scottyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2012
    Eastern Wa
    So, my birthday is in March, and I decided I am going to use some birthday money and FINALLY hatch some BBS and Lavander Orps :D

I'm going to make my own incubator because I am cheap... LOL Anyways, I know the basic components for it, (Styro cooler, light bulb, but what wattage?, thermometer, humidity gauge and what else?

Also, for the window to look in, would plastic wrap be OK or would it let too much heat out?

I'm going to have 12 Orp eggs in there but I would like to fit 2 doz because I might stick 6 turkey eggs in there too :) Or some quail eggs, who knows LOL

Anyways, if you could give me some tips or something on this that'd be great!

Thanks!

2. ChucktheChick

ChucktheChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2012
    The coop
    Well, you could use duct tape instead! That worked WAY better for me. The wattage for the light bulbs could be 25 if you have a large bator, but since I have a small one the 25 got to hot. I searched all over town for a smaller wattage. I ended up with 15, and it worked great for me. That is all I used; your List. Hope toy have a successful hatch!

3. jwatts

jwatts Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    I would deffinetly use a pc. of plexi glass or real glass if you can. Plastic wrap might let a lot of heat work through,it may also sag down when humidity rises and little drops form on the wrap. heres a hint, take a picture frame glass and glue/silicone it to the top of the incu. I took a wedding photo off the wall!!!!! Lol

4. bilder

bilder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2013
    Phoenix, Oregon
    Yes, an old picture frame is a good source for a window. Hit up the dollar store or Goodwill if you do not have one.

Another thing you may look into is a thermostat. I used one for a hot water heater and it works great. Cost 8 bucks at home depot.

5. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
  6. Scottyhorse

Oct 26, 2012
    Eastern Wa
    Thanks guys! That's a great idea about the glass from a picture frame... I will have to find one nobody will notice! Hehehe..

Excuse my stupidity, but would the thermostat control the humidity and temp?

7. Sally Sunshine

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    not humidity just temps!

8. Scottyhorse

Oct 26, 2012
    Eastern Wa
    Huh, how does it work? It just seems like a little box with some wires poking out of it. What kind should I get? Being able to order online would be a plus, we live 45 mins from a home depot or Wal Mart....

9. Sally Sunshine

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    A hot water or wafer thermostat? please see both in the article below..... and wire schematics

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/incubator-incubator there are some great videos and he explains alot more than what I have written!

10. Scottyhorse

Oct 26, 2012
    Eastern Wa

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by