making a duck house: questions

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by joleneschix, Mar 18, 2013.

1. I currently have 6 khaki campbells that we got the kids for xmas. Right now they are housed in a coop. My question is how much room do they need in their house? I want to build them a new house that will be in their run. They have alot of room out there and I do not like the fact that instead of using the ramp I provided for them to get out of the current coop, they fly out every morning, quacking like crazy, like someone is chasing them. So I thought I would build them a small house/ nest box area for them to be in at night. They do not even go in their coop until night time, so as of now it is only for bed time. They are only 12 weeks old, so I figure we got aways to go before they start laying. Also still not sure what sort of nest box to provide. I saw one person using 5 gallon buckets. Do they actually use them? Just need answers as to what sort of nest box or bucket or any? And if I do build something new, how big should it be? Like I said they only use it at night and I am sure when they start laying they will use it then too. And yes they are all girls. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. tedscalls

tedscalls Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2013
    Enville, Ok.
    I use dog houses from Walmart for most of my duck houses. They seem to love them for building their nests inside.

3. Thanks! I will look! I was sort of hoping to make something out of recycled materials, you know to cut costs. I guess I am looking for an answer on how big the floor should be. I keep their food and water in the run at night, I do not allow it where they sleep anymore(due to huge messes they would make at night! [​IMG]) So really this is just a place to sleep and lay eggs. I never thought of a dog box. I was sort of hoping to find an extra large long pallet, build it into a floor and build the walls and roof up from the floor. That way I could make cleanning easier for me too. But thanks for the idea. Always open to ideas!

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Here's a copy of a reply to someone else's very similar question

From Storey's Guide

medium to large sized ducks
    for night only, at least 2.5 to 4 sf per bird

if any chance of keeping them in continuously during severe weather, minimum 6 to 8 sf.

for the duck yard, minimum 10 to 25 sf per duck, shade area, slope with good drainage, no stagnant waterholes

------

I have about 100 square feet for 13 small ducks - runners and buffs. The day pen is about 190 square feet, including the covered veranda.

I'll add reference to this video:

and this one, that would work for a small number of ducks

5. tedscalls

tedscalls Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2013
    Enville, Ok.
    You bet, I just like the dog houses because the tops will pull off easy for cleaning. I keep wood shavings inside for them to bed and nest in. And your right about the feed and water needing to stay away from the bedding area.

6. Thanks to both of you! Great info Amiga! I am just trying to figure how big they need. Their run is huge! Way bigger than what they need! They are spoiled! And they have a built in pond that has water running through constantly. And I cleaned it completely out once a week. Plus they have several clean water tubs which I clean and refill 2 times a day! Like I said spoiled! I am planning on blocking off a part of the run for awhile to plant them some grass. The whole run is sloped where the water can run off away from where they sun themselves, and I have a shade cover over half the run. Whenever I clean out the pond they go nuts for the mud spots that are there for a bit!! I love these ducks! I can not wait until they start laying. I am so excited! Also wanted to ask do you think if I made the roof of their home hinged that would help with the cleaning? Or maybe two doors at either end? Anyone got pics of their duck houses? Looking for all great ideas!! Thanks everyone for helping!

7. Oh yeah, also wanted to post that I live in northern CA. Not sanfran area, WAY northern CA. About an hour from Oregon border. Our weather NEVER gets severe. The last time we had snow was in 1989! And that is a rarity for sure. We do get an occasional freezing temps but nothing severe. My ducks have been enjoying the outside for as long as they have had feathers. They are totally happy. I do not anticipate them ever being in the duck house all day long. More like they LOVE the rain!! We get quite a bit of rain, although we are lacking so far this year! Lots of fog where I am at though!! Thanks again!

8. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Ours love the rain, too [​IMG] In New England, that is a good thing.

We do get some bitter weather, so we have some expanded winter and harsh weather digs - their own room in the walkout basement.

Here's their summer cottage.

The Dutch doors do wonders for me cleaning out and gathering eggs.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by