making a flock block treat for the first time.

mairead

Chirping
7 Years
Dec 11, 2012
Redwood, NY
Hello everyone i decided today to make my first flock block!
i have seen the ones in Tractor supply for over $10.00 which to me is a lot of money to spend on something that my birds might not even like. With all this bad weather we are getting here in upstate NY my birds have been cooped up inside for quite a few days now.

So i basically looked up recipes for the flock block and threw my own together.

I did not measure out my recipe i just threw whatever i had together.

So my recipe has:
handful of cranberries
a whole banana chopped up
wild bird seed about a cup
layer crumbles
some sweet feed (very little though)
a teaspoon of honey
and 3 eggs beaten up (if there is still some areas that are dry add more eggs)

I mixed all the dry ingredients together then added the beaten eggs and the honey and mixed it up again.
I then added it to a small pan that was sprayed with pam so i can get it out easier

I preheated my oven to 350 degrees and baked it for abut 30 minutes. let it cool then pop it out. i did make a hole in the block so i can hang it and make it harder for them to eat all at once. And i got to say the house smells really good i was worried it was going to smell bad.

I tried to hang it up but it didn't last long at all. my female turkey tried to hog it all from the rest of my birds. They all loved it and it was gone pretty quick.

Hope you enjoy! i was excited and had to share lol

Looks tasty, I've been thinking about making one of these for awhile now. Would be interesting to make one with bugs like mealworms, grasshoppers in the summer etc.

Back
Top Bottom