1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Making a Horse stall into a coop (Graphic heavy)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Papakeith, Sep 24, 2011.

1. Papakeith

Papakeith Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2011
    Rhode Island
    Hi all,

I wanted to share my build. When my wife and I bought the farm house from my father we gained not only the house, but a couple of out buildings too. One of those out buildings was the old chicken coop. The coop hadn't been used as a coop for at least 40 years. Actually, it hadn't been used for much of anything for 40 years and it showed.

My wife keeps horses; and soon enough, I was tasked with re-purposing the coop into a horse barn. I had room for 4 stalls and some storage. Did I mention that it was a 15x60 chicken coop?[​IMG]

I got a few years out of that build. Eventually though, I needed to put an addition on the barn for more storage. Here's a picture of the barn after the addition.

[​IMG]

With the addition built I got clearance from wifey-poo to appropriate one of the stalls for a coop.

[​IMG]

Well, it seems I wasn't going to get a whole stall to play with after all. After further negotiations, I was allowed to use half of one of the stalls as my new coop.

The old chicken coop would house chickens again! [​IMG]

Now on to the build!

First step was to split the stall

[​IMG]

next up was the wire and a cap to the top of the wall

[​IMG]

Then I needed a door

[​IMG]

and now some nesting boxes. I opted to make a bank of four.

[​IMG]

and that is about it.

I had some more time today so I added a few roosts, a slant to the top of the nest boxes, and some bedding.

I think I'm ready to bring some birds home [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:very nice, I think you have made very good use of the space wifey poo gave you. let us know when you get the chickens!! and [​IMG]

3. beach livin'

beach livin' Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2011
    Manteo
    looks good:)

4. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    Great job, glad you wrangled some space for chicks!

5. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Nice work. I almost bought a house that had a horse stall. I was so excited about turning it into a huge chicken coop. Oh well, I'm glad you were able to do it

6. KandiandJerry

KandiandJerry Chillin' With My Peeps

This is a GREAT IDEA...we have been thinking about doing this for awhile and really didn't know where to start....but we may try now....you make it look so simple....thanks for this post....

7. Papakeith

Sep 21, 2011
    Rhode Island
    ....you make it look so simple

It was simple! I'm a big fan of function over form. No matter what I make it will never win a cabinetry contest. But, it will be solid and functional.

For now I have 1/2 the stall. The other half will be used for grain and bedding storage. Once I clear out all of my building supplies and wood from the addition I hope to expand out to a full stall which will give me a 10 x 15 coop to work with. I'll probably have to lobby heavily to have that happen though [​IMG]

The chickens I plan on getting will be coming from the farm behind me and are already laying RIR crosses. They might be 7-8 months old.​

Last edited: Sep 25, 2011
  8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:It was simple! I'm a big fan of function over form. No matter what I make it will never win a cabinetry contest. But, it will be solid and functional.

For now I have 1/2 the stall. The other half will be used for grain and bedding storage. Once I clear out all of my building supplies and wood from the addition I hope to expand out to a full stall which will give me a 10 x 15 coop to work with. I'll probably have to lobby heavily to have that happen though:p

The chickens I plan on getting will be coming from the farm behind me and are already laying RIR crosses. They might be 7-8 months old.

very cool, all the best on your new adventure!

9. Papakeith

Sep 21, 2011
    Rhode Island
    Just got word from my wife, the chickens have arrived![​IMG]

Granted it's not the best picture, but here they are.

[​IMG]

10. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:very nice, Congrats looks like a really nice place for them, hope you get lots of eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by