Making a Mess of Feed

mclanea

Songster
May 19, 2016
San Diego

So I have this hanging feeder. Generally speaking I like it, especially that it'll hold a TON of feed. But lately I've been noticing that they've made a game out of emptying it. I put about 6 lbs of feed in there yesterday and it's all out on the dirt floor of their run now. The past couple of weeks when I've been cleaning out their run I'd say about 1/3 of what I'm taking out is feed.

Any tips for this kind of feeder? Do I just try a different type? Or should I not worry about it and let them have a good ole time emptying it?

Thoughts?

I personally have gotten away from the hanging open feeders. I personally like this style feeder. It can be made out of a small buck clear up to a trashcan. There is no waste with it as they can't scratch it out everywhere.

You can use however many elbows and whatever sise bucket or can you want. The PVC is 3 inch street elbows.

I bought one on Amazon that has a removable galvanized lid. Works great! One of the reviews said it can rust, but i have it hanging in the coop, so it stays dry.

Back
Top Bottom