Making a rag rug.....the "tool' and how to do

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by 2468Chickensrgr8, Feb 11, 2009.

1. 2468Chickensrgr8

2468Chickensrgr8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    Ontario
    I have never made a rag rug .. ..today I googled it and there was a video on how to make one(U tube) and I couldnt see the "tool" the woman was using ..to thread the cloth using a crochet method.....would anyone have a photo ? or give me an idea on what it looks like...or what I could use...Merci.....

Last edited: Feb 12, 2009
  2. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
  3. 2468Chickensrgr8

Nov 7, 2007
    Ontario
    No but thanks...it was more along the line of a darning needle but flat and wider....thanks again
    HM? What would that tool be used for ??

4. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    It looks as if people like to make their own out of toothbrushes [​IMG] google Rag rug needle pics and you will see ones that folks have cut the brush end off of a cheap toothbrush... the kind with a hole in the end for hanging..... cut the cut off end to a point and sand smooth and you have a nice large needle for rug making [​IMG]

http://www.flickr.com/photos/waffles2005/3163278655/sizes/o/

Last edited: Feb 12, 2009
  5. pattypenny

pattypenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2007
    they have hooks you can buy but my grandmother took a old toothbrush and carved a hook in the end and made the rag rug with that. looked like a big crochet hook.

6. Jena

Jena The Welsh Witch

Nov 2, 2008
    Cardiff
    A Rug Hook,

It is like a large crochet hook, usually with a wooden handle, and they have a closure over the open edge of the hook, so that it closes holding the fabric or wool in place.

I have one here but no picture sorry, I will try to find one.

They are good tools.

Jena.

7. 2468Chickensrgr8

Nov 7, 2007
    Ontario
    Thanks so much for the information !!! I am going to go look at everyone's toothbrush now...hee hee !!
    May ask some more questions later....

8. erthymom2

erthymom2 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    how about sharing the U tube link please...i always need one more thing to keep me busy!!

Quote:

9. Chic-n-farmer

Chic-n-farmer Showers of Blessings

Quote:I just use a large plastic crochet hook purchased at Wal-mart. I'm not sure what size, but the butt end is wider than a dime. HTH

10. 2468Chickensrgr8

Nov 7, 2007
    Ontario
    Quote:
    I am not so computer savy. ...yet....to add a link here ...I googled the web on how to make a rag rug and came apon a video of a woman making a rag rug...I am also interested in making one...
    Just have to find how to start one off....Today i am going to check out more of the U Tube...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by