Making a temporary coop safe

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Tapsmom, May 14, 2011.

1. Tapsmom

Tapsmom Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2011
    Hi all,
    I found a nice small coop that we are picking up this afternoon. We are figuring on expanding upon it as soon as our barn is complete. At that point we have plans for our "Chicken Fort Knox." We will have buried welded wire around the perimeter and a covere top over a lareg dog kennel. However, our barn is a t least a month from completion so the chickens will be in a temporary setup. We have a dog kennel that we will be using for their run. Is there a way to make a temporary run/coop setup safe? I live in New Englad so we have coyotes, fox, Fisher Cats, opossums, black bear, Red Tail Hawks, raccoons...Do I have any hope?
    The chicks are around 10 weeks old. From what we saw last week at a 4-H demo day it seems that they are a little more than half zie at this point. Any suggestions would be welcome.[​IMG]

2. Rebecky54

Rebecky54 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Do you have anything in the run that you can lock the chickens up in at night? That's the best choice -- even a dog crate. The chain link needs to be lined -- bottom 2 feet -- with hardware cloth and you'll need a wire top on the run.

Thanks,

Becky

3. Tapsmom

Tapsmom Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2011
    Thanks,
    We are planning on running the welded wire around the bottom to keep them from sticking their heads through during the day. The coop is very basic-my husband will be adding a lot to it. However, it is raised off the ground and is all plywood so they will be locked in safely at night. We are going to put a top over it. I was just concerned about our inability to bury something around the perimeter. That will be what we do when it is permanent-which will be in a month or two.
    Thanks again:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by