Making a treat from white bread

I was thinking more along the lines of soaking or drizzling it, once crumbled, with milk, honey, maple syrup, beef broth, or something that would make it more appealing or nutritious. But I will give the French toast a try. I gave them some bacon fat with it, which they loved, but I understand the fat is not good for them? Thanks for the reply.

I was just reading the thread about apple cider vinegar. Would they like the crumbled bread more if I drizzled some ACV on it? They like it plain, but not as much as they like pork chops or shredded cheese. They love shake-n-bake pork chops more than anything I have given them to date.lol

They get most of there nutrition from there feed and grass and bugs..
I wouldn't put alot effort in cooking for them.. just give them scaps from your dinner plates and old bread.. they will eat what they want. They love potato peels too

So it's not worth the effort cooking for them? I guess the menus that I was having printed up will have to be put to some other use. I'm somewhat familiar with their dietary preferences as I have been shuttling leftovers and scraps and peels down to my neighbors' flock for the past couple years. It was enough to finally entice me into acquiring my own flock. When I'm not booting them around the yard, like a clutch of deflated footballs, I like to spoil them with yummy treats and observe their various behaviors, which provides cheap and interesting entertainment. I also realize that I should limit the amount of "treats" I feed them, since it is important that they are primarily consuming pullet food, which is most beneficial for their growth and health. They are so well behaved that I feel obligated to seek out the most appealing snacks for them, but bread is often the common denominator. Thanks for all of your help.

Last edited:
Added sugar, salt, fat and honey isn't good for your hens. Plain old bread isn't the greatest but a few plain slices are fine. What's appealing to you isn't necessarily appealing or good for them.

So it's not worth the effort cooking for them? I guess the menus that I was having printed up will have to be put to some other use. I'm somewhat familiar with their dietary preferences as I have been shuttling leftovers and scraps and peels down to my  neighbors' flock for the past couple years. It was enough to finally entice me into acquiring my own flock. When I'm not booting them around the yard, like a clutch of deflated footballs, I like to spoil them with yummy treats and observe their various behaviors, which provides cheap and interesting entertainment. I also realize that I should limit the amount of "treats" I feed them, since it is important that they are primarily consuming pullet food, which is most beneficial for their growth and health. They are so well behaved that I feel obligated to seek out the most appealing snacks for them, but bread is often the common denominator. Thanks for all of your help.

It's worth the effort if you enjoy it..they don't need it.. I'm sure they enjoy your recipes. .I'm sure they'll enjoy your kitchen scraps just as much.. with no extra cooking required.

Back
Top Bottom