making ACV from scratch

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by mendozer, Oct 30, 2011.

1. mendozer

mendozer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2011
    seattle
    I just started a batch and it's sitting in my basement. I was wondering how long it takes most of you to make it. 3 weeks, 3 months?

thanks

2. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    If you have added some of the "mother" then it can take as little as 4 weeks. If you just set the non pasteurized juice out, it'll take 3-6 months. I got some PH strips so I know when it's "done" w/out any guesswork but you can taste it from a straw from time to time and be able to tell. So long as no mold grows you're fine. The "mother" will be a white layer on the top, and sometimes theres a few bubbles.

3. CluckyJay

CluckyJay Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Crossville, Tennessee
    Such a wonderful idea! Been wanting to do it but gotta get a crock first.

4. oberhaslikid

oberhaslikid Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2008
    Ohio
    I work at the Farmers market for a lady that has an orchard. They have Apple cider thats been ultra violet light processed. It will ferment if left out.
    I just loosen the cap and let it set untill it is vinegar.Or you can pour into mason jars and let it work.
    They do theirs in 55 gallon drums and let it process in the cold cooler for a year.

5. mendozer

mendozer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2011
    seattle
    Could I buy a small bottle of ACV from health food store and top it off with that? That way I get a little bit of the mother in there?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by