Making an automatic waterer?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Slongest, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Slongest

Slongest Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2012
    Kentucky
    My Coop
    Ok i have a few questions most i think i may know the answer to just want to verify before jumping into it. i have alot of fifty gallon barrels im thinking of using one of these and filling it with water and i also have a huge fish tank pump that has alot of filters its a very expensive filter/pump i want to have pvc pipe running thru my 50' by 30' chicken barn going thru all the breeding pens and thru the general population and back to the barrell making a huge circle but my question is what size pvc should i use i plan on cutting grooves out of it so they can drink im kind of concerned about putting nipples on it because im not sure they will learn how to use them but i dont want the water being pushed so hard it flies out of the pvc pipe. second will it freeze do you think? i would guess no because its circulating and we do have some pretty cold winters down to single digits at night. i guess i could put heat tape on it.. what do you guys think????? what am i missing or no thinking of?

2. Dash

Dash Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2012
    I have a 55 gallon barrel hooked to water cups leading inside and outside the coop, works like a charm, and very clean!

3. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    I would recommend using the cups so that you don't have leaks everywhere like with nipples. What will keep the water constantly circulating so that it doesn't freeze?

4. Slongest

Oct 15, 2012
    Kentucky
    My Coop
    Actually haven't thought about cups how do they work do they have to push something down to get water to come into the cup?

5. TallChickMagnet

TallChickMagnet Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2012
    Jurupa Valley, CA

As the chickens drink the water they push down on a lever that automatically releases approximately the same amount of water that they just drank. You will have to hold the lever down a few seconds the first time that you use it in order to fill it with water.
    :p

6. Slongest

Oct 15, 2012
    Kentucky
    My Coop
    oh ok yea that sounds like a good idea i really appreciate it. i really thought about the nipples but i dont want to waste my time trying to train 200 birds and hoping they will use it but this is great.

7. Slongest

Oct 15, 2012
    Kentucky
    My Coop
    is the barrel elevated or how do you keep it going to the cups just pressure of the water maybe?

8. Slongest

Oct 15, 2012
    Kentucky
    My Coop
    I want to put a pump on it that will keep it coming back and filtering dirt out.

9. Dash

Dash Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2012
    Its gravity fed, with pvc pipe and the cups can leak easily if debris gets caught in it, so I use hose screens, but its been the best system I found, If I get a chance, I will post some pics for you :)

Last edited: Feb 7, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by