Making an incubator... Sort of...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Zaxby's2, Apr 16, 2011.

1. Zaxby's2

Zaxby's2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    a place
    Ok, so we are considering incubating and hatching out our own chicks, and the last time we went to see a guy who had this whole chicken raising system, he told us that during the warmer months he keeps a large box outside with lamps in it and the outside temperature combined with the lamps keeps the chicks and eggs warm enough to thrive. Is this true, because it seems simple and I like the idea.[​IMG]

2. youngbiddy

youngbiddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2009
    North Carolina
    I would highly recommend going with a regular incubator. You'd be setting yourself up for a lot of frustration and heartache trying to do something new in such an inexact way.

3. Zaxby's2

Apr 10, 2011
    a place
    Okay! Thanks! I guess I'll just go with the regular incubator.[​IMG]

4. Emilys3guppies

Emilys3guppies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2009
    Toronto
    A light would be fine for chicks but you aren't going to get eggs to hatch with a setup like that. Eggs require specific temperatures and humidity to hatch. Even if you did get the right heat in a box with a light, they would potentially only start development and then die along the way. It's not fair to the embryos in a scenario like that...to start life that you knowingly cannot sustain.

I hae found real incubators for cheap on kijiji so you might try looking there for one!

All the best,
    Emily

5. Zaxby's2

Apr 10, 2011
    a place
    Quote:Thanks! Now that I recall he only had chicks in it, not eggs. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by