1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Making an Incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by startingaflock, Dec 8, 2009.

1. startingaflock

startingaflock Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2009
    I am just wondering if anyone can tell me how I could make an incubator. I am going to be setting some eggs in the spring (will collect eggs in the spring) and I have a friend who will lend me an incubator but it's all going to depend if she is using it or not and I was thinking that if it's easy enough, I could just make one.

2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

3. startingaflock

startingaflock Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2009
    Thank you, there are some great ideas there. I think that I will try the styrofoam cooler one. Just a quick question though, how would you fill the water dish at the bottom without taking the whole thing apart? That's the only thing that I'm confused about.

4. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

How about a hose an funnel like this?
    [​IMG]

Also make sure if you use a hot water thermostat mount it really close to the light bulb. If its to far away the thermostat will cycle on an off to slow.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2009
  5. TommyVT05

TommyVT05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2008
    Southern California
    Feel free to join then new "Incubator Contest" : )

6. rosaline

rosaline Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    England
    Hi [​IMG],

I am new to this myself, but I have made an incubator from a black plastic recycled box, I have a tray of water at the bottom, and a kitchen tray like a cooling tray to put the eggs on. So when it is time to refill the water I can pour it in from above. I will have to leave a space in it to do that. The light bulb goes in. Egggsserlent [​IMG]

I am just trying it out before my eggs come tomorrow hopefully [​IMG] The temp seems fine at the moment. And its great as I have made it myself costing nothing [​IMG] Im so proud.

I hope this helped ......even if a little

Good luck with you hatch [​IMG] xxxx

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by