Making Breeds From Scratch!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by cluckcluckluke, Feb 23, 2014.

1. cluckcluckluke

cluckcluckluke Overrun With Chickens

The 'formula' seems to be lost for many breeds of chicken we have today, but are there any that we really know, what creates them?

For instance: Australian Langshans are made from Croads and Australorps....but what make Croads and Australorp's?

2. cluckcluckluke

No one at all is interested in this.............

3. ScarlettCherrie

ScarlettCherrie New Egg

Feb 4, 2014
    Well.. I know that australorps were made form orpingtons, but not sure about the other one...

4. BGMatt

BGMatt Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    Battle Ground, WA
    Australorps were selectively bred from Orpingtons, more of an emphasis on egg laying and tighter feathers. The Langshan (Croad Langshan if you're not in the US) is a foundation breed. Which means either they just...are...or they were made so long ago history doesn't record it and it is lost to time in this case. In some cases a breed is a "foundation" breed because the breeds used to make it are extinct.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
  5. cluckcluckluke

6. BGMatt

Feb 28, 2013
    Battle Ground, WA
    Other foundation breeds (99% sure): Malay, White Faced Black Spanish, Hamburg, Japanese bantam, Silkie, Sumatra, Buttercup, Dorking, (Croad) Langshan, and probably some others I'm forgetting.

Australorps were just selectively bred from Orpingtons is my understanding, I am not as well versed on that class of poultry. But similar to how the New Hampshire was selectively bred from the Rhode Island Red with no other breeds added.

The Orpington was created from the Minorca, Langshan and Plymouth Rock in it's original Black coloration. Buff Cochins were used to introduce the Buff which is now of course the msot well known variety.

Edit: Turns out I was wrong on the Australorp. It was primarily Orpingtons but also Rhode Island Red, White Leghorn, Minorca, Langshan again and possibly some Plymouth Rock.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
  7. cluckcluckluke

8. BGMatt

Feb 28, 2013
    Battle Ground, WA
    Told ya it wasn't a complete list, just off the top of my head. You're probably right on those breeds. Although I thought the yokohama and sumatra were related some how, I'd have to look it up. There's so much poultry history out there. If you go too far back you get "breeds" of landraces which becomes a huge issue. Changes your definition of breed. Onagadori to the best of my knowledge had nothing in common except long tails, they could be all sorts of shapes and colors and comb types. A more modern example is the Swedish Flower Hen, it's not a breed, its a landrace. It doesn't breed true.

Anyway, poultry history can be a huge subject and a fascinating one to look into. There's so much (and far enough back so many conflicts) that I doubt there's anyone that knows it all. I know the history of the Asiatics fairly well because that's my favorite class, and right now am working on researching everything that the Langshan was used to create, which is fascinating to me to see how many other breeds owe their existence to them.

9. cluckcluckluke

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by