1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Making chick starter with my organic layer feed?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by TanyaFL, Nov 14, 2010.

1. TanyaFL

TanyaFL Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2010
    Lakeland
    Okay, so here is the deal. A neighbor gave me an unwanted chick the other day and I do not have starter on hand for this chick. I only have the organic layer feed I order online for my girls. I debated ordering some of the starter from the company I buy my layer feed from (which are whole grains with a coarse chop) but its kind of expensive so I was wanting to wait it out until maybe after the holidays...and all that feed just for one chick got me thinking...

Well the starter they sell is just the broiler feed more finely ground. I was wondering if I could just grind my layer feed more, add some extra protein, and make it into crumbles for the chick and maybe spare myself some expense of having to order and ship another type of feed for one chick. Or am I totally off base and need to suck it up or what? I really am clueless about what should or should not be in a chick starter. Any suggestions?

Being that the chick was not a planned addition, it was just "brought" to me, I was totally unprepared but luckily I had everything I need on hand to rear a chick, minus the feed.

So anyway, for the moment I have given the chick the layer feed I have and noticed he/she could not eat all of it (like bigger chunks of field peas etc.) at which point I realized I should have ground it. So, I did....maybe too fine? Lol its all over the chicks space. I do know the protein is not high enough (my layer feed is 17% protein) so I was debating giving the chick some tiny meal worms (I raise organic meal worms) and maybe some cooked egg? IDK if that alone is enough or if I should do something else? My feed is soy-free and I would like to keep it that way.

I was hoping to possibly make it into crumbles myself too just to avoid wasting the feed that I ground too fine. Here is what is in my layer feed...I would love it if someone could tell me how I can make this more appropriate for a chick and give me some ideas to not waste this ground mess I have made, lol. Oh, and I am guessing the chick is between 1-2 weeks old from the best I can figure.

Crude protein, minimum..............................................17.00%
    Crude fat, minimum.......................................................2.00%
    Crude fiber, maximum...................................................8.00%

INGREDIENTS
    Organic Field Peas, Organic Corn, Organic Oats, Organic Wheat, Calcium Carbonate, Fish Meal, Organic Alfalfa Meal, Organic Flaxseed, Organic Rice Bran, Sodium Silico Aluminate, Dried Organic Kelp, Dicalcium Phosphate, Salt, Yeast Culture, Roughage Product (organic wheat middlings),Organic Sunflower Oil, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Choline Chloride, Menadione Nicotinamide Bisulfite Complex, D-Calcium Pantothenic Acid, Niacin Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Hydrochloride, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Biotin, Folic Acid, Manganese Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Calcium Iodate, Zinc Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Sodium Selenite, Dried Aspergillus oryzae Fermentation Extract, Saccharomyces cerevisiae, Dried fermentation product of Lactobacillus acidophilus, Dried fermentation product of Lactobacillus casei, , Dried fermentation product of Lactobacillus plantarum, Dried fermentation product of Enterococcus faecium, Dried fermentation product of Bacillus coagulans, Dried fermentation product of Bacillus licheniformis, and Dried fermentation product of Bacillus subtilis.

Thanks,
    Tanya

2. HeritageHens

HeritageHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2010
    Orygun
    In addition to the grind, it's the addition of calcium to the blend that makes it different. What you copied does not list the % calcium but I think it's around 1% for a chick and around 4-5% for a layer. The extra calcium is hard on their kidneys but I don't know how long it would take for their kidneys to become damaged. I'm sure someone here has more knowledge than me...

3. TanyaFL

TanyaFL Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2010
    Lakeland
    Wow! thanks so much for letting me know...I certainly dont want to hurt the little peeper. Guess I need to go ahead and place an order for the chick starter.

Thanks again,
    Tanya

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by