Making chicken feed...help with ratios please.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by 4luvofchickens, Oct 26, 2010.

1. 4luvofchickens

4luvofchickens Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2010
    Northern NY
    I want to make a batch of homemade chicken feed using the following ingredients: cracked corn, dried split peas, hard red wheat, oats, boss, kelp, and salt. I also feed kitchen scraps. Grit & oyster shell is free choice.Does anyone know the proper ratios for each ingredient or know where I can find that info? Thanks in advance.

2. 4luvofchickens

Jul 29, 2010
    Northern NY
    Anyone??

3. 4luvofchickens

Jul 29, 2010
    Northern NY
    anyone??

4. Uzuri

Uzuri Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    Can't help you personally, but you might be interested in this web page: http://www.lionsgrip.com/recipes.html Might give you enough information to figure it out.

(PS: careful with the bumps. Mods don't like them.)

5. AmyBella

AmyBella Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    Western MA
  6. shesaredroan

shesaredroan Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi there,
    You might want to check out the 'feeding & watering your flock' listing under the forum here at BYC. You can look at ALL the different threads or do a search of that listing for your specific question.
    I started sprouting seed/grain last month for my flock and found lots of info there.
    Seems like BYC member 'Organics North' had some good info. [​IMG]

7. knjinnm

knjinnm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Sandia Park, NM
    Quote:Hi,
    Many of the mixes use parts as one part corn etc. Use pounds instead of parts.

8. eggbuster

eggbuster Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    Quote:I use these ingredients.

I use trapper peas instead of split. The problem with peas is that the protein content can very quite a bit depending on if the farmer applied nitrogen fertilizer or not so I would recommend adding flax to up the protein and also increase the omega 3 in your eggs. Also, I found that the chickens wouldn't eat the oats, so I don't use them now and just use wheat which has more protein then oats. If you are using kelp you don't need salt as kelp has it already.

6 parts hard red wheat
    2 parts whole corn (cracked corn is ok but if the weather is very cold give them whole corn; it helps them stay warmer and it stays fresh while cracked doesn't)
    2 parts peas
    2 parts boss
    1 part flax

1-2 %kelp (not a whole lot)

This recipe should give you 18-20% protein

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by