*Making Chicken Manual* any tips help things i can include ? :)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lucyharper123, Dec 19, 2012.

1. lucyharper123

lucyharper123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2012
    hi i'm making a chicken manual to reassure me what to do if a chicken is acting up or if i want to try a new treat or something anything you want to include?

2. TallChickMagnet

TallChickMagnet Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2012
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    Include a section or chapter on misconceptions, and false information that you find being spread around the chicken world...
    [​IMG]

3. TweeTea

TweeTea Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2012
    Canberra, Australia
    good idea, i did a similar thing for my cockatiels but havn't for my chookies.

(by the way my chicks wing is doing really well, the vet said it was just soft tissue injury and now it is almost completely better) How are your girls?

4. TweeTea

Dec 11, 2012
    Canberra, Australia
    for a manual I would focus on behavioural and health, but I have a strong personal interest in animal behaviour :)

5. lucyharper123

Dec 16, 2012
    thanks i will do ! and thats fantastic to hear you're doing well, mine on the other hand was doing fine but died (r.i.p) [​IMG]i think it was marek's so ive ordered in the vaccination for next time and for my chickens the now ! [​IMG]

6. TweeTea

Dec 11, 2012
    Canberra, Australia
    Cursed Mareks! Sorry to hear she didn't make it. :(

7. lucyharper123

Dec 16, 2012
    its okay i'm pretty gutted! but i have disinfected everything and i'm putting another batch in soon ! :) so let hope these ones live a happy long life roaming about my farm ![​IMG]

8. Haunted55

Haunted55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    Central Maine
    I can tell you this from experience. If it was Marek's, your hatchlings will have immunities and will be fine. Maybe not all, but 90% of them.

As for a manual, make sure you add any medical info you can gather. How much of a certain med to give them for these symptoms and for how long. What the next course would be if it didn't work, etc.. I've been doing that since June and you'd be amazed at what you gather in your 'travels'. A list of 'musts' to have on hand when raising chicks. ACV, Blu-Kote, Bitter Apple spray. Anything like that, we tend to take for granted that we will remember and sometimes we don't.

9. Agafan

Agafan Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2012
    Ok Please explain what each one is used for please: ACV, Blu-Kote, Bitter Apple spray. 

10. Haunted55

Haunted55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    Central Maine
    ACV or apple cider vinegar, is used as an additive to their drinking water to promote better health and keep down parasites. Blu-Kote is a spray used on wounds to help them heal and keep out infection. Bitter Apple spray can be used to keep chicks from picking at each other.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by