making chicken pen area "plantable"

sccr410

Hatching
Mar 26, 2015
We had a 10x12 pen for our chickens at our house which we sold at the end of October. We live in Colorado by the way. When we sold the house one of the conditions was we were to take down the fencing/pen and make the soil "plantable". I took down the fence and took a shovel and simply turned all the dirt over.

Unfortunately the new owners are contesting that we did not meet the "plantable" requirement.

What am I missing here? By the time they can plant in the spring the poop in the soil should be broken down making the dirt ripe for planting.

Last edited:
Did you ask them what they mean by ''plantable''? Do they want to plant a garden there? Or do they want to plant grass? What exactly are they complaining about?

Last edited:
We went off what was outlined in the contract: "rework the soil so the area is good for planting". Knowing the area and that it gets shade almost all day except a couple hours midday from sun direct over top, it would not support a vegetable garden well. It also is not a good place for grass so just some bushes, other similar plants or a small tree would work.

Last edited:
We went off what was outlined in the contract: "rework the soil so the area is good for planting". Knowing the area and that it gets shade almost all day except a couple hours midday from sun direct over top, it would not support a vegetable garden well. It also is not a good place for grass so just some bushes, other similar plants or a small tree would work.
Let it go, you did what you could, they had the opportunity to inspect before closing and I am guessing it was not an issue then. There only recourse is to sue you, and they would have to prove damages. I would just tell them sorry the deal is done. Real estate broker in California here

Gary from Idyllwild Ca here

Let it go, you did what you could, they had the opportunity to inspect before closing and I am guessing it was not an issue then.   There only recourse is to sue you, and they would have to prove damages.  I would just tell them sorry the deal is done.  Real estate broker in California here 

Unfortunately it is not up to me to let it go. i do want to get some confirmation that what was done was plenty sufficient.

Did the buyers do a final walk through at closing and sign off?

If they did a walk through and did not bring it up before closing it is a non issue. I'd tell them to pound sand.

They accepted it by closing

Good luck

Thank you for the information, but let's jut say there are already lawyers involved. I am simply looking for confirmation or if I am mistaken on what needed to be done to meet the contract requirements from people who have gardening knowledge in this area.

Thank you for the information, but let's jut say there are already lawyers involved. I am simply looking for confirmation or if I am mistaken on what needed to be done to meet the contract requirements from people who have gardening knowledge in this area.
Wow, Lawyers involved? My RE lawyer is $425 an hour I would send a gardener to till and plant bushes or marijuana or whatever they want before hiring him for something like this. 10x12 area... Of all the things I have had go wrong in a RE transaction this is about the most minor thing I have heard of. Lawyers are the only ones to make out in a case like this. Good luck.

Gary from Idyllwild Ca here

Back
Top Bottom