1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Making Chicken Sausage?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by bigredfeather, May 12, 2011.

1. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    This is the first year we have offered boneless/skinless breasts to our customers. We got a lot more orders then we anticipated we would. As a result of selling so many, we are going to have a abundance of leg quarters. I was thinking maybe we could try making some sausage from all these LQ. I know I have seen threads on here discussing making sausage, but in searching, could find anything, so......How do those of you that make it go about it? Do you add any fat? Do you use chicken fat or pork fat? Is there a quick method to boning out leg quarters? I have a grinder and a stuffer. Anything you can tell me will be helpful.

TIA

2. wekiva bird

wekiva bird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2010
    South Carolina
    I was wondering the same thing [​IMG]

3. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

delete

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  4. bigredfeather

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    Thanks Steve. I knew I saw the pic of that big ol' pile of sausage before, but I couldn't find it.

5. Steve_of_sandspoultry

delete

6. bigredfeather

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    Quote:I emailed my library and they are going to have that book for me in a few days. Thanks again Steve.

Last edited: May 12, 2011
  7. Steve_of_sandspoultry

delete

8. EMAW

EMAW Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    SW Michigan
    You can also use the chicken for snack sticks...I use the meat from my wild geese and ducks in the fall to make some awesome snack sticks. I do add some pork fat, for us it is to dry otherwise. I also cheat and use one of the kits you can buy at the outdoor stores (Cabelas or Bass Pro).

Steve thanks for the link back to all the great recipes, I have some wild boar that I need to make into some sausage.

Scott

9. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
  10. KenK

KenK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Georgia
    Just as an alternate idea; one of my goals is to have chickens ready to butcher at the same time my garden is peaking so I can make and can several gallons of Brunswick stew.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by