Making jerky in a smoker (Bradley)

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Wynette, Jul 28, 2010.

1. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    I'd like to make some jerky in my Bradley smoker - I just looked into purchasing the jerky trays, and they are EXPENSIVE. I'm sure they are nothing more than a regular tray with much smaller holes in the mesh. Can anyone give me some ideas on something that I can maybe lay inside my current trays that would do the trick? I thought maybe hardware cloth, but that's still too large of a hole. Any ideas?

Also, any hints/tips on making jerky in my smoker would be appreciated, too. Thanks!

2. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    When I made venison jerky a spread the meat in a single layer on a cookie rack. The kind that has squares like hardware cloth, about 1/2" apart. It did just fine. I put a layer of foil underneath the rack in case any slipped through.
    I don't have an official smoker though, just a grill that I use (large)

Weird that you posted this thread, as I was just thinking about making some beef jerky this morning. I need to get some beef from the freezer to thaw....

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  3. Wynette

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    I would think, though, that if I put foil down, wouldn't that stop the smoke from filtering around/through the meat?

I've never made it before, so I'm pretty excited to try!

4. wegotchickens

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Quote:I have a shelf on my grill/smoker that I can put the meat on, and the foil goes on the bottom shelf and keeps anything from dropping down too far.

5. Wynette

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Oh, okay - so, you put the meat on the rack, and the foil a bit lower on a lower shelf?

6. wegotchickens

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Yup, that's what I do. Plenty of circulation around the meat for the smoke.

Now I am really craving jerky!

I was considering doing the brine as just sea salt & roasted garlic this time [​IMG]

7. Wynette

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Oh, man...I'm a huge fan of most anything garlic!

do you just cut your meat in thin strips, and "jerky" that, or do you grind it?

8. wegotchickens

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Have always cut it into thin strips. Used to make it in the oven, after soaking it in a marinade. Can't handle the extra chemicals in most marinades now though. Nitrates, nitrites and sulfa compounds don't like me.

There's a guy at the farmers market selling home-grown garlic cloves 3/$1. So we've been eating a LOT of garlic lately! I roast 6 cloves at a time and mix the garlic with melted butter to spread on bread and corn and such. I spread some on a pork tenderloin the other night and roasted it in the oven and it was awesome. So I've been thinking about garlic jerky ever since.

9. Wynette

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    OH, man, does that ever sound [​IMG]

I'm going to check out some recipes on the Bradley smoker website for jerky! YUMMO! Thanks for all your feedback!!

10. wegotchickens

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    No prob! Not sure I really helped, since I do not have a real smoker.

Let me know how your jerky turns out!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by