1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Making Manonnaise?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Mamachic1967, Aug 6, 2015.

1. Mamachic1967

Mamachic1967 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2015
    Has anyone ever tried making their own mayonnaise? Also if you have, did you preserve it in a way that it will keep for a long shelf life? I've searched recipes, but does anyone have a nice simple one made from scratch?

Thank you [​IMG]

2. 2dogsfarmagain

2dogsfarmagain New Egg

Aug 14, 2015
    Midwest
    I use whole eggs to make a version of Duke's mayo.
    No real recipe just 2 or more whole eggs (2 makes about a pint of mayo) beaten with salt & pepper, about a teaspoon of fresh lemon juice, about a tablespoon of cider vinegar & a dash of paprika.
    Measurements for a pint of mayo.

I make it directly in the jar I store it in using a stick(immersion) blender.
    Just blend until it is as thick as you like it - the sound of the blender changes as it thickens.
    Keeps a month or more in the fridge.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2015
  3. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    I thought that you needed to add oil to make mayo ...

4. 2dogsfarmagain

2dogsfarmagain New Egg

Aug 14, 2015
    Midwest
    D'OH!
    Yes,of course.
    Directions should include drizzling oil into the mixture as you blend. I use about 1 cup vegetable oil. Just add slowly until it emulsifies and thickens.

5. Katieboosmama

Katieboosmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2014
    Advance, NC
    I make mine the same way but add a tiny dash of cayenne. Dukes has a little kick :) Best store bought mayo on the planet!

1 person likes this.
  6. Mamachic1967

Mamachic1967 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2015
    Thank you. That sounds simple enough. I will try it. Thanks for your message!

7. LeeSC

LeeSC Out Of The Brooder

Sep 2, 2015
    Leesville, SC
    Following

8. Maikan

Maikan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2015
    Ireland
    I use a similar recipe but also add a dash of garlic powder, just improves the flavor a bit more. Real simple to make though n nothing better than home made.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by