Making me nervous....

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by KansasKid, Nov 4, 2010.

1. KansasKid

KansasKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    Yesterday was the first time i put my ducks up in there new pen and i started a thread telling what a "fun" time i had putting them up. Well tonight i went to put my duck up and the same thing happened and my two hen mallards flew and stayed on the pond while the others where herded into the pen. I then went back in my chest waders to herd the hens off the pond on, and like yesterday the old hen flew off. Well it was nearly dark then and of course its pitch black now and she still has not returned and it has me worried. There is ponds scattered around me and a marsh to the south of me but i won't be able to check any of them till tomorrow. She's the oldest out of the bunch but is only about 2 years old and an excellent flyer. She was also my best broody hen. So i guess i just came here to vent and get some reassurance that she will fly home. (i hope)

2. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

Can you clip their wings? That way you can herd them in like the rest until they get use to it.

I hope she comes back. You may want to check to see if she's come back through the night.

3. KansasKid

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    I clipped the drakes wings yesterday and planned on clipping the hens wings today if i had trouble with them and now i'm wishing i had done it already. I went and checked the pond about a bit ago and didn't see any ripples and searched with a flashlight around the bank. usually i always know there around somewhere and stay calm but for some reason this time i have a nervous feeling in the pit of my stomach.

4. KansasKid

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    phew, i don't know where she came from but after i let the ducks out this morning she flew in. (tonight i will see if i can catch her and clip her wings.) [​IMG] i really enjoyed watching them fly around, at least around the pond anyway.

5. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

The wings will grow back next year, and by then they will be use to their new house. [​IMG]

6. KansasKid

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    I know. I clipped her wings last year to and was hoping that she would stay put, but it looks like i will clipping them for a few more.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by