making money

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ublik, Feb 21, 2013.

1. ublik

ublik Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2012
    Hi everyone. I have been raising a small flock of chickens for the last couple years as a hobby. I have sold their eggs and they have supported themselves with a little extra. I have been debating other ways to make money with chickens as I like raising them. So my question is can you actually make money with chickens?( apart from running a hatchery or commercial egg production ) Or is it always mostly a hobby?
    These are some of the things I've been considering:
    • Raising a larger flock of layers.
    • Raising purebred birds and selling hatching eggs as well as eggs for eating.
    • Raising chickens to sell hackle to a local fly shop. I am particularly interested in this, and I have read several threads on these forums about hackle chickens.
    • Raising birds to show.

2. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    Eventually I want to try selling hatching eggs and chicks locally but for now I am trying my hand at selling chicks. I hatch some and get others from hatcheries. I am just getting started though so time will tell.

3. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    There are people who do make money on chickens. If you view it as a part time job the scale doesn't have to be large. For a full time job replacement you need a much larger scale operation. A lot of what you can get out is based on how much you can or want to put into it. I think your second option has the best chance.

4. AngieO

AngieO Chillin' With My Peeps

I am working on raising pure bred chickens to sell the chicks and fertile eggs. I will also sell eating eggs to try to earn some extra money. I am just getting started so I can't tell you how it will go yet :)

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    I think it is possible to make $ in the chicken biz with proper planning and research. Try to set up your markets in advance rather than have your birds and then search for ways to sell the product. Good luck to you in your venture.

6. ublik

ublik Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2012
    Thank you for your replies.
    Does anyone have any breed recommendations for egg layers that people would also buy hatching eggs for.

7. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    I was planning on using Australorps when I kick off some day. Proficient layers, beautiful birds, and not overly common around here. Most seem to favor RIR or mix flocks in my area.

8. ublik

ublik Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2012
    Thanks for the reply. The australorp is one of the breeds I had thought about. They sound pretty good.

9. Orpingtons or RIRs. Or Copper Marans,

10. lahowardjr

lahowardjr Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2012
    Bache Oklahoma
    Australorps, Orphingtons, Barr Rocks and RIRs seem to be good sellers in the south. They all have large brown eggs and are prized down here. I don't think you can go wrong with any of these as egg layers or chick sales.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by