Making new coop safe questions,

Lee-Anna

In the Brooder
Apr 27, 2016
Southern Indiana
I originally posted this in pest and predators but I think this is the more appropriate thread.

We are getting ready to keep our birds outside full time and we are working now on keeping them protected through the night. I will attach a picture of the coop and the run that we will be attaching to the coop. The coop and run have 1/2in hardware cloth. In the coop there is a small window that also has 1/2 in hardware cloth and a sliding door for them to enter and exit. So here is my question, for nighttime if we lock up the sliding door and the part that opens for egg collection with replacement locks to baffle the raccoons will this be safe enough? The run under the coop and attached run that my husband just built will only be used during the day so it wouldn't need quiet the protection as the part they sleep in. So if we just add new locks will that be secure enough? We are a homeschool family and my husband works a 9-5 job at home with windows facing where the coop will be so I don't feel like foxes or dogs will be a problem. We do have hawks around but there is a top to the run. The chickens are out and about in the yard with my girls for hours during the day so they are usually always supervised. Hmm trying to think if there is anymore info I can offer!

Back
Top Bottom