Making Oliver Eggers W/Out Copper & Cuckoo Marans

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by josh44, Jul 18, 2011.

1. josh44

josh44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2008
    San Antonio Texas
    Has anyone ever made Olive eggers with out using the Black & blue Copper or Cukoo Marans ???

Has Anyone Ever Used Wheaton Penedesenca or Marans, Welsummer, or Barnvelder ?

The reason I ask is most of the olive eggers I have seen are either blue, Black or cuckoo.

Just curious to see if anyone is working on Weaton Olive Eggers ? Or Brown/ BB Red as in Welsummer color Olive Eggers.

Please post pics, [​IMG]

2. josh44

josh44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2008
    San Antonio Texas
    Has anyone Every Used Easter Eggers In Their Olive Egger Projects ?

3. kfacres

kfacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2011
    Quote:Yes the EE must always be half of the OE breeding scheme.

Remember, it takes an EE (green or blue) mated to a dark brown (Maran or Welsummer) to create Olive Egger...

color is irrelevent... It just happens that most are barred, or black as that's the color of the two most commonly used anscestors-- the Marans.

It also doesn't help that barred on the female side is sex linked...

You could mate any hen in the world to a dark brown laying roo-- and expect any color offspring... but I would expect that unless that roo is something other than a black or cockoo then color will not arise.. if not, then there's a great chance that the black and cockoo will be dominate over the colored, unless it's pure white.

4. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:you can always Use RIR. Production Reds, and Isa browns but you will have to use the ones that lay very dark eggs...

5. kfacres

kfacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2011
    Quote:you can always Use RIR. Production Reds, and Isa browns but you will have to use the ones that lay very dark eggs...

KEY TO THAT IS VERY

6. wingsofglory

wingsofglory Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2011
    Palmer Alaska
    H and H Poultry has Wheaton Marans and Wheaton Ameraucanas. These two could be crossed to make an Olive Egger. It hopefully would turn out Wheaton also.

She also has BlackTailed Buff Marans. Crossed with the typical wild bird patterned EE would not likely result in black or barred Olive Eggers.

I think she would be a good one to ask about her experience with the colors. She may have already an assortment of Olive Eggers.

7. wingsofglory

wingsofglory Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2011
    Palmer Alaska
    Welsummer x BBR Ameraucana might make BBR Olive Eggers. I'm not sure, Welsummer might be partridge color and genes might be different for the hens coloring.

For pictures, check out the Olive Egger thread.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by