Making organic homemade feed for the chicks

tree_78

In the Brooder
12 Years
Nov 25, 2007
Livermore
Hello,
Is anyone an organic chicken caretaker?
I want to be and also want to know that my chicks are getting enough of the proper nutrients. I will not even pretend to know very much, save what I've learned from friends who are also backyard chicken-ers.
I had read someone post something about putting apple cider vinegar in their water (how much)?

What about garlic in their food?

Do you cook grains for them?

Do you use flax seeds?

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Peace to you all,
Tree

Hi Tree,

I feed organic layer pellets ( I have found two brands locally) and LOTS of "treats" like organic greens, table scraps, etc. I mixed flax seeds in with their (Organic) scratch mix, non-GMO corn and grains, also as a treat.

In the water, I alternate between raw organic apple cider vinegar (about a half capful in our 2-gallon waterer) and a great all-natural product called AviaCharge 2000 which is made of fish/seaweed oils, etc. (from Stromberg's Poultry on line)

If you do a search you'll find lots of discussion on this board about "organic".... of course we aren't 100% sure that the so-called "organic" stuff is really organic. But as I have not yet sourced a good local farmer for for-sure-organic, non-GMO grains, and since I want to be sure the girls are getting a balanced diet in winter when they aren't free-ranging at all, I will continue to use the organic layer pellets.

Oh, I also offer oyster shell and granite free choice.

Stacey

I will definitely add apple cider vinegar to their water - thank you!

I'm trying to stay away from purchasing commercial feed since I think I can make them what they need and give them what they need. They are free range as well - with the exception of the yard that belongs to the dog because he is desperate to get at them!! I give them scrap produce as well. And lots of grains and flax seeds.

Thank you for the tips!

I'm curious if people who make their own grains for their chicks have any grain recipes that they find is well-balanced? Quinoa? Millet? Rice? Kasha?

And corn - is it hard pellet corn or cooked corn? And how do you it's non-GMO? That seems the hardest to me...

I use the products from Countryside Naturals. In addition to being organic and soy-free, they also add all the supplements -- Fertrell's Nutri-Balancer, fish meal with Naturox, kelp meal, aragonite (calcium), flax, and probably more that I'm not remembering. I still offer most of those things free choice, but it's nice to know when I run out it's still in the feed.

I wouldn't know where to begin to make my own feed (or have the time to figure it out). I'm sure your chickens will love you for it!

Tree, have you looked at the thread on potato peelings?

There are some discussions and links to ideas on alternative feeds.

Steve

I have a great book called "The Encyclopedia of Country Living" by Carla Emery that has homemade feeds for all kinds of animals including chickens, rabbits, etc. It's the best book I've ever bought in terms of do-it-yourself stuff.

Quote:
I have been buying a couple bags of Countryside's Organic Layer feed as well. I really like the ingredients and I'm sure my garden will love all the trace minerals left behind. It seems like there is a lot of powdery residew left in the bottom of the feeder though. I will sometimes take the powdery stuff and mix it with yougert. The girls really like it.
tongue.png

Mick

You guys are so awesome!!!! Thank you....
I will look for the thread on potato peelings.
And I am so interested in the book that was mentioned.

Thank you all again!

Back
Top Bottom