Making pip myself

ChandlerDoe

In the Brooder
5 Years
Feb 23, 2014
I am very tempted at this point to make my own pip hole for the duckling. It's going on the 27th day almost and still no pip. I candled and see movement, but he's just not coming... I performed and eggtopsy on one of his siblings when they died and the shell was VERY thick. I feel like I'd rather be safe than sorry, I've looked around and, as long as I don't hurt his inner membrane, I don't see how I could hurt him by making a pip hole for him. Any thoughts? Is there anything I don't know that could hurt him from me making a pip hole? I'd just feel a lot better making the pip myself...

i did for some chickens, just very small with the tip of a sharp screw that was disinfected. the only worry i had was the membrane drying out to make the hatch harder. so made sure moister was up.

Thank you for the advice! I've been going crazy over here trying to get some help!:)

Well, I did it, and I feel A LOT better. Phew! And he's still moving, PLENTY big, so I have a lot of hope in this being a successful hatch! Fingers crossed! Here's a picture of my little hole, I think I did pretty good for a newbie:) (Back of a fork, slow tapping until I made a hole, and then finished with sterile tweezers). http://imgur.com/EGD95yW

Well, I did it, and I feel A LOT better. Phew! And he's still moving, PLENTY big, so I have a lot of hope in this being a successful hatch! Fingers crossed! Here's a picture of my little hole, I think I did pretty good for a newbie:) (Back of a fork, slow tapping until I made a hole, and then finished with sterile tweezers). http://imgur.com/EGD95yW

has the chick piped it's beak through the membrane yet?
the egg is on day 27 now -- are duck eggs due on day 25?

now that it is exposed to air, the membrane may dry out quicker. you can keep it moist with antibiotic ointment (without pain reliever).
when you place the ointment on the membrane, it will turn from white to clear. you will also be able to see the veins. the veins tell you how close it is to hatch; large red veins mean it is not ready yet, put it back and wait longer.

if the veins are turning dark red/black, then the chick is low on co2 and needs to breathe soon. in the case of black or dark red veins, it may be necessary to internally pip the membrane so the chick can breathe. the most important thing to remember if you do this is not to hit a vein which will cause death (hemorrhage). again, use the ointment to make the membrane see-through so you do not hit a vein. it should be a very tiny incision made right above the beak.

ideally, the chick will pip the membrane herself and you wont have to take the risk.

after breathing begins, it can be another 12-24 hours while the veins and yolk recede into the stomach before it even attempts to get out, so be very patient.

Last edited:
No, the chick has not pipped through the inner membrane yet, and I've heard it's 28 days for ducks(except muscovys). All I have is neosporin:( I'm going to run to the store and get something else though, thanks for the advice! I'll let you know what I find when I get back:)

No, the chick has not pipped through the inner membrane yet, and I've heard it's 28 days for ducks(except muscovys). All I have is neosporin:( I'm going to run to the store and get something else though, thanks for the advice! I'll let you know what I find when I get back:)

neosporin works great if it is the type without pain reliever in it :) the active ingredient you need is "bacitracin" even off-brand neosporin works.

another good thing to have on-hand is iodine..
i also like having sterile tweezers and tiny scissors (used for baby's fingernails) in my chick delivering set.

if the eggs are not due yet, please do not make the internal pip yet, most likely it will pip through itself. I thought it was 2 days over due for my advice above.

Last edited:
go to this page:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/491013/goose-incubation-hatching-guide-completed
scroll down to the images of assisting chicks,
read this section of the article: Graphic showing the concept of 'Capping' in the event of premature assistance.
(the entire article is a good read, highly recommend it)

I also boil & bake used egg shells to use for "caps" in the case of accidental premature assistance

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom