Making Provisions

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Franki, Feb 9, 2015.

1. Franki

Franki Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2012
    I am curious if anyone has made or has any idea what provisions would be made for their geese or other birds in the event that something happened to them?
    This has been on my mind as of late. Living on my own I am in a position to be one of those people that leaves their home and other things to organizations that take in my animals.
    I've often wondered if left enough money would Majestic Waterfowl take them?
    I'm not that old but the chance that a baby would out live me is there.
    I guess if I was sure they would be well taken care of I might consider getting Piper a younger friend. Reebok will be 21 around Mothers Day. Piper sticks to her like glue.
    Any thoughts anyone?
    Linda

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    What part of the country are you in Franki? [Linda] We have a rescue here I am going to look into called Carolina Water fowl rescue to see if I can make arrangements or if they know of any. You might contact majestic and ask.

3. Franki

Franki Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2012
    Just an update on this subject. I did in fact contact a goose/duck sanctuary and have made arrangements for Piper and possibly a friend should she outlive me.
    I feel much better now knowing she will be provided for and when something happens to Reebok and Oliver I can get her a friend to keep her company and go with her.
    Morbid I know and made me cry but I still feel better.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I'm glad you were able to do this and thank you for reminding me I did the same this week. I feel it's very important to know they will be taken care of. Not morbid in the least, to me anyway.

5. jtn42248

jtn42248 Overrun With Chickens

This topic is not at all morbid. It is what is called responsible behavior. We have taken on a commitment to provide for these birds for their lives. If that happens to exceed our own life than we need to make the necessary arrangements for their care with people or groups that can commit to providing them what they would have had if we had outlived them. My partner and I have arrangements to take care of each of us if we should die right down to a really nice grave marker. We have arrangements in place through our vet to see to the care and well being of our dogs in the event both of us should pass on. Why should our care and commitment to our birds (chickens ducks and geese in our case) be any different? For us it is an arrangement with the local county humane society which is a no kill group that focuses on not only dogs and cats but farm animals of all types (you should see some of the old creatures they care for).

I encourage everyone who has more than a "it is just an animal" attitude toward their critters to investigate any and all possible resources available for the care of your animal "family" in the event something should happen to you. It is a good thing to have done and the responsible thing to do.

1 person likes this.
  6. jtn42248

jtn42248 Overrun With Chickens

Another thing your posting reminds me of, and that anyone that is contemplating getting birds whether chickens, ducks, geese, parrots, or anything else, is the life span of many birds. In captivity, with healthy diet and no real wild life stress they can live from 5 to 50 years and more. Please folks, consider that when you get your birds. If you are 70 years old maybe think twice before getting a tropical exotic that has a life expectancy of 50+ years. Many birds bond so tightly with their human companions that the loss of that companion will trigger a catastrophic set of events in the bird and they will starve themselve to death.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by