Making Pumpkin and Squash "chips"

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by itsy, Oct 22, 2011.

1. itsy

itsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    My neighbor gave us some really beautiful butternut squash and these funny looking pumpkins that she calls "Amish Pumpkins" from her garden.

My boyfriend and I decided to try and make them into chip form. We sliced them thin with a knife, tossed them with some olive oil, salt, pepper and cayenne pepper and baked/broiled them on a baking sheet in the oven until crispy. We like it very crispy, so we've experimented with how dark to let it turn.

Can I tell you how amazing pumpkin/squash is prepared this way? It's a great little finger side dish for dinner. We had some of the pumpkin chips tonight with an Indian style (homegrown) chicken sautee we made with black and mahogany rice. It went well and was fantastic....but it's so good, it would go with almost anything. The pumpkin takes a little longer to cook than the butternut squash.

My bf has always been picky about eating veggies. I joke with him that he's like a big kid, but he even loves these. I think that YOUR kids might enjoy them too.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2011
  2. Kassaundra

Kassaundra Sonic screwdrivers are cool!

Sep 1, 2010
    Henryetta
    I also have been slicing patty pan summer squash and coating in powdered sugar and cinnimon and dehydrating them, they are really good. They take right at 24 hrs in the dehydrator, but the house smells great while they are "cooking"

3. caspernc

caspernc Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Z town NC
    ok pumpkin are fixxin to ge really cheap.......Yeaaaaaaaa!

4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    This sounds good, thanks!!

5. Ema

Ema Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
    AWWWWWWWWWWWWW you guys............now I want me some baked pumpkin and squash goodies......I tried the squash chips before my kids ate them all, I got one :-( lol,

I wan to make some pumkin sugar donuts , yum yum [​IMG]

6. caspernc

caspernc Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Z town NC
    Quote:recipe please!

7. Ema

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
    I will post when I find it, lol....probably in the morning, its just after 1 am here and I don't wan tot go making a racket int he kitchen and waking my little light sleepers lol. but I can assure you...........they are delish!!

8. Ema

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
    I went online to search for a similar recipe. I got mine from my grandmother when I was a little girl, but this one is fairly the same, only I do not use all the different spices of the cinnamon, ginger etc...I used the premix pumpkin spice and use between 1 1/2 tsp. to 2 tsp. when its all mixed I try a bit if it needs more spice I add more. I do not use the glaze at all. I also use fresh pumpkin or squash.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/f...-Glaze-and-Spiced-Sugar-Doughnut-Holes-230926

I cooked several at a time in a turkey fryer or deep fryer with canola or peanut oil, I prefer canola though, and when they come out I make several batches by making a dozen in granulated sugar, a dozen in cinnamon sugar, a dozen in powdered sugar, and my dh's ultimate favorite, a dozen dipped in melted chocolate. its a whole family event like it was when I helped my grandmother make them. dh gets my ingredients I mix them and fry them the kids and dh dip them, and Dh is first tester ahahaha. Usually by the time I am done all the little donuts they have already polished a dozen. :)

Ema

Last edited: Oct 23, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by