Making stock with venison, question

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by ScoobyRoo, Dec 13, 2009.

1. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    This is my first time using leg bones from the deer we harvested. There is some bits of fat as well as meat left on them but not much. And the fat is my concern. We always stripped as much fat off the meat as we can when we processed them. Been told that it will have a funny taste. Will this ruin the flavor of the stock? I would hate to put in the effort for a funny tasting stock if there is fat in it.
    What is your experience??

2. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    I don't have any experience with venison stock but I'd say bake it first or brown it well in a pan before boiling it. If you have some beef fat I'd add it. Stock without fat is going to be bland.

3. ScoobyRoo

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    I'm roasting it right now till it browns then I will try to break the bones ( I have a butcher block and hammer [​IMG]) Then will add veggie scraps roast some more before adding water. I do have some beef fat that I saved for beef stock. I just may add that to it. Thanks for the idea.

4. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Henry'schickens :

I'm roasting it right now till it browns then I will try to break the bones ( I have a butcher block and hammer [​IMG]) Then will add veggie scraps roast some more before adding water. I do have some beef fat that I saved for beef stock. I just may add that to it. Thanks for the idea.

Slow cook it until the bones get soft.

Keep us posted on your results. I'm curious.​

5. _Randall_

_Randall_ Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Grenada, Ms
    PurpleChicken is right............get rid of ALL the deer fat. Venison is delicious, but the fat that comes along with it will ruin the taste dramatically. If fat is needed for processing anything concerning venison, I'd use pork or beef fat. Again, the deer fat is STOUT.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
  6. ScoobyRoo

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    Well, that is what I thought. Since we process our own venison, the only fat that is added is bacon when we make summer sausage. I know that pork fat is added when grounding it up. Otherwise, it is all lean for jerky and/or other dishes. I am roasting it right now and it does smell good. I hope what little fat is on there will brown enough not to be too stout for our taste.

PC, I will let you know how it turns out. It will simmer for a couple of days. Then it will be Tues or Thurs before I can it.

7. ScoobyRoo

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    Quote:Slow cook it until the bones get soft.

Keep us posted on your results. I'm curious.

I thought I would let you know that it turned out great! I used it for beef and noodles. I did smell the stock after popping the lid to make sure that it didn't have a rancid smell.
    Now, I can use up the rest of the deer leg bones in the freezer before the whole butchered beef shows up and nowhere to put it.

8. HLAC

HLAC Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2009
    Central Utah
    Glad to hear you like it. [​IMG]

I think the whole 'remove all the venison fat' idea is waaaay overblown. I actually like to leave a layer of venison fat on my roasts and steaks. It doesn't taste funny.... it tastes like venison.

It does get hard really fast tho'.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by