Making tea with a coffee machine

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Chickerdoodle13, Nov 6, 2011.

1. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Just wanted to share a little trick I used today. I saw my aunt do it and it was so quick and easy! Sure beats boiling a pot of water and messing around with tea bags.

Today I used my coffee pot to make tea. I just stuck a teabag in the compartment where you would normally put a coffee filter and added enough water to the machine for a single cup of tea. Then I turned it on and voila! Instant tea! It's great if you want to make multiple cups. Then you just add a few extra teabags and enough water for everybody. I was a bit worried the coffee taste would get into the tea, but I just cleaned the coffee machine well before using and it tasted great.

Just figured I'd share this little neat tip I picked up! Does any one else have any nifty kitchen tricks? I love doing things that you wouldn't ordinarily think of!

2. KenK

KenK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Georgia
    Put water in cup and nuke it and then put the tea bag in the cup.

3. cravenchx

cravenchx Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    Piedmont of NC
    My MIL showed me this years ago.
    And I go ahead and sugar to the pot.

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    I have a Coffee Maker and don't drink coffee at all. I just use it to heat water for my tea, oatmeal, cocoa, whatever. [​IMG]

5. Chickerdoodle13

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Quote:I have a hard time getting the water hot enough in the microwave without it boiling all over. Just when I got it perfect with the old microwave, it broke and I haven't really tried with the new one!

6. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    That's how I make all my tea. If I'm icing the tea, I cool it to room temp before putting in the fridge. It only saves until the next day, tea doesn't keep well.

7. cravenchx

cravenchx Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    Piedmont of NC
    And there is nothing worse than expired tea!!![​IMG]

8. StupidBird

StupidBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    GA
    I found a french coffee press most handy for making loose-leaf teas, and herbal teas fresh from the garden. I do have to boil water for it though.

9. canesisters

canesisters Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2011
    Virginia
    That was one of the selling points that got me to put out the bucks for a Keurig. One cup at a time of fresh coffee, tea, cocca, instant soup or oatmeal - even use it when a receipe calls for hot water. Love that thing! [​IMG]

10. Chickerdoodle13

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Quote:Oh, I REALLY want a kuerig. I just haven't had the money to put out for one. Some day! We have one at the ambulance building where I volunteer, so I'm always getting mine from there.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by