Making your own feed for small flock?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by vjbakke, May 10, 2011.

1. vjbakke

vjbakke Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    MN
    I only have 6 birds, would making my own feed be more feasible with only 6 hens? Also do you need to and a vitamin and mineral supplement to the recipe? My girl don't free range and are in a close run.

Last edited: May 10, 2011
  2. DickGJ

DickGJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2011
    Sumter, South Carolina
    Personally, with only 6 chickens...I don't think it would be worth the effort and it may even cost you more. Look for local feed mills that farmers use to save more on feed. Most commercial farmers aren't buying their feed from Tractor Supply Company they buy from feed mills. A 50# bag of feed should last you at least a month, probably more like two and it has everything they need. I raise mealworms (super easy by the way) for additional protien treats, along with yogurt, lettuce greens from the garden, etc... I've even gone busting up logs in the woods for termite colonies and those huge grubs that you can find in decaying wood. Mine eat like royalty (for chickens)! [​IMG]

3. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    Making your own feed is possible, especially for 6 chickens. If you use whole grains they will store well. Yes, you should add a vitamin/mineral supplement, but some don't. Look for something like Fertrell Nutri Balancer.

4. DickGJ

DickGJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2011
    Sumter, South Carolina
    I hope nobody took my post as it not being possible. I've read several different posts here on BYC where folks were going to feed mills and have roasted soybeans ground up with other grains so they can create the protein/nutrient/calcium mix they desired most. I'm not sure if it costs more than a bag of Purina Layena or Flock Raiser with an oyster shell offering or not. Personally, I use the flock raiser as my grower feed as it has 20% protein and my chicks (8-weeks) have exploded in size! At around 18 weeks, I plan to continue the Flock Raiser, but will then add a calcium supplement as they will then soon be laying eggs. I have 12 chickens and a bag of feed last me a month or more. Part of the fun with raising chickens is experimenting on what works best for the chickens and you, whether it comes to feed, waterers, feeders, coops, runs, or whatever!!! Just don't make it too laborious for yourself and enjoy them! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by