Making your own feed?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by CDennis, Dec 18, 2010.

1. CDennis

CDennis Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Idaho
    I have run the numbers and the flock raiser and scratch grain is a spendy undertaking with the way my birds eat. I am thinking about mixing my own feed but I am not sure what to include. I know a lot of people feed BOSS. Does anyone have a mix they use that is more reasonable?

2. forgeblast

forgeblast New Egg

Feb 28, 2010
    NEPA
    I have a big galvanized garbage can, I mix in 1 50 lb bag of sunflower seeds, 1 50 lb bag of grains, and 1 50 lb bag of crumbles, it lasts me for a long time. I have 4 (1 roo, 3 hens) since i lost a few.

3. CDennis

Apr 1, 2009
    Idaho
    Thanks!

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Rolled Oats, Grain mixes, Sunflower Seeds, and other grains like corn, wheat, etc.

Personally I like to go with things like Quinoa, Amaranth, Flaxseed, Peas, etc both those are all expensive. I have the room to grow my own though. [​IMG]

5. Lotsapaints

Lotsapaints Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    Paso Robles, CA
    I recommend a whole grain diet using sprouting and UltraKibble and the forage blocks it has saved me much on my costs and cut back on the amount all my birds eat and I no longer need to buy turkey feed I'm making my own....I use re-cleaned oats and wheat, sunflower seeds, split peas and whole peas, flax,milo and corn. I feed sprouts in the morning and keep a feeder filled with the dry grains mixed with UltraKibble and keep grit, charcoal and oyster shell out. Now I need to buy a grinder so I can make my young bird feed as the UltraKibble is too large for the babies to eat. I was reluctant to start as it seemed expensive I do have to order and pay shipping on the Kibble no store carries it yet close to me I've been using it for a month and it's saving me money and the birds are no longer acting hungry all the time the droppings are dryer the smell is less more eggs less mess. Right now we are having record amounts of rain and I cannot use my free choice feeders like I like but trying to put pans out with enough food for the day and I keep putting too much out.......

6. TheyThinkI'mTheirMom

TheyThinkI'mTheirMom Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2008
    Saint Leonard, Maryland
    What exactly is BOSS? I've seen it mentioned a few times, but I haven't the foggiest idea what it is.

We use Layena pelleted in the am, and scratch in the pm. And most veggie and fruit leftovers, etc from our table. In the winter they get warm oatmeal at bedtime:p

7. CDennis

Apr 1, 2009
    Idaho
    Quote:Never thought of it but I have room to grow my own also!

8. Lotsapaints

Lotsapaints Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    Paso Robles, CA
    BOSS=black oil sunflower seeds

9. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
  10. TheyThinkI'mTheirMom

TheyThinkI'mTheirMom Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2008
    Saint Leonard, Maryland