Making your own food pellets

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by jake and pippa, Mar 15, 2017.

1. jake and pippa

jake and pippa Out Of The Brooder

Dec 13, 2015
    Hudson valley NY
    I raise quite a few birds, chickens, ducks and geese, and while I like to buy feed from a local mill, they do not sell pelleted food, and pelleted food is less wasteful for adult birds. Has anyone any experience using a small scale pellitizer mill from pellitizermill.com, see http://www.pelletizermill.com/small_pellet_machine.htm.

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    You priced the small one?

3. jake and pippa

jake and pippa Out Of The Brooder

Dec 13, 2015
    Hudson valley NY
    I did not. I wanted to know if anyone on these boards had used one. The price I would be willing to pay will depend on how durable, reliable and consistent the machine is, ease of use, quality of product. I can buy pelleted feed from a mill at far less then I pay for commercial feed, but it is a 2-3 hour drive, and to get delivery I need to order 4 tons. There are two other mills closer to me that sell only mash, so I am trying to calculate time and effort for several scenarios. If it takes 2 hours to pellet 100 pounds of feed, the price is irrelevant, I am bettor off driving and buying 1 ton at a time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by