Malay predator question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by extraordinaryfowl, Sep 15, 2011.

1. extraordinaryfowl

extraordinaryfowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2011
    Lancaster, PA
    I figure this is the place to find Malay breeders? I realize things like dogs and coyotes would have no trouble taking one down, and in the dark they are vulnerable too. But do you think during the day they can handle and fend off weasels and coons and hawks and smaller predators in general? Since Malays are a fighting breed and so large, I was curious if they could.

Thanks in advance, MW

2. GotGame

GotGame Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    NE of OKC
    Malay, at least ones found in the US, have very little of the original 'game' in them. You might be better of going with a big shamo or brazilian. Find Saladin and talk to him...

3. colebarnhart

colebarnhart Chillin' With My Peeps

I wouldn't consider a coon a smaller predator and would think it would have a much better chance against a domestic dog

4. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:Here a Pumpkin Brazilian
    [​IMG]

5. GotGame

Jul 13, 2010
    NE of OKC
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
  6. extraordinaryfowl

Sep 6, 2011
    Lancaster, PA
  7. GotGame

Jul 13, 2010
    NE of OKC
    Quote:Here a Pumpkin Brazilian
    http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j437/nicalandia/Pumpking.jpg

Is this a creation of your own? How tall are brazilians?

No, it belongs to a fellow brazilian fancier, that does not frequent this board. Brazilian cockbirds normally range from 7lbs to 11lbs. They are fairly tall birds, I would say 24-28 inches tall would be a fairly accurate average on height. I have a line of brazilians that are a lil smaller than the average.

8. extraordinaryfowl

Sep 6, 2011
    Lancaster, PA
    When you say Malays have very little "game" do you mean they have been crossed with other breeds, or that they just have not been bred properly to keep their aggressiveness?

9. GotGame

Jul 13, 2010
    NE of OKC
    Quote:A little of both, but mostly the second one. A big majority of the malays you find have originated from hatcheries. It is also a belief among many oriental fanciers that malays were never really 'game' to begin with. If you really want to know about them, send me a pm, I will put you in touch with a few ppl.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by